+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: “Like two hard-boiled eggs in a handkerchief”

I'm Howard.

Default “Like two hard-boiled eggs in a handkerchief”

Moderators – please my apologies if this post is in the wrong category.

Outside of AOS, some have cheerfully invited me to comment on my avatar. Who is he/she, where was the gig they were photographed at, what was the guitar, and stuff like that.

First, it’s Pete Townshend. He’s playing a Gibson SG – special with twin P90 pickups into heavily modified (serious midrange distortion boost) Hiwatt amps and four (possibly six ) 4 x 12” speaker cabinets. No foot pedals.

The picture is from the boiler suit / Gibson era of the late 1960s

But the image? Well, I've seen it erroneously described as the first Isle of Wight festival and the first Woodstock festival. Both wrong though because both those gigs were played at night! I've no idea where though. This iconic image was on my wall as a student having bought Live At Leeds as a single album for 19/6 (nineteen shillings and sixpence) for some years, and as a mental image ever since.

As for the post subject observation “Like two hard-boiled eggs in a handkerchief”, it came from a lady of my acquaintance who was focusing on PT’s encased bottom more than the about to be smashed Gibson SG.
    Well, hello.

I'm Martin.

I've read that he broke his first guitar by accident, raising it above his head at the end of a gig at a small club and stuck the neck through the false ceiling above the stage breaking the neck. Angered he smashed the guitar up. The crowd went nuts and a tradition was born.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrew.

I was only seven in 1969 so I wasn't there, but it looks like, from pictures on line and youtube, that they played in daylight in 69 and darkness in 70.

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've read that he broke his first guitar by accident, raising it above his head at the end of a gig at a small club and stuck the neck through the false ceiling above the stage breaking the neck. Angered he smashed the guitar up. The crowd went nuts and a tradition was born.
    Quite correct. The Station Hotel in Harrow in fact.

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by RMutt View Post
    I was only seven in 1969 so I wasn't there, but it looks like, from pictures on line and youtube, that they played in daylight in 69 and darkness in 70.
    Interesting and thank you. Wasn't aware of this. That said videos of Woodstock and IOW do show night performances

I'm Andrew.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Popeck View Post
    Interesting and thank you. Wasn't aware of this. That said videos of Woodstock and IOW do show night performances
    Sorry, yes I wasn't very clear on reading it back. I was commenting on the Isle of Wight festivals.

I'm Richard.

Well, I WAS at the 1970 Isle of Wight festival. And I can't remember a damn thing. So I must have done it right.
    ABD.

I'm Howard.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    Well, I WAS at the 1970 Isle of Wight festival. And I can't remember a damn thing. So I must have done it right.
    Indeed yes.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    So you missed Jimi Hendrix and Miles Davis as well .....!
    Barry

I'm Shaun.

How very 1970's, Hi-Watt amps and cabs. I remember it well. All very prog rock

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast