+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My uber low-rent system - updated, with pics

I'm Mike.

Default My uber low-rent system - updated, with pics

Still kicking back and enjoying the tchoons

Just as enjoyable as ever, but now cleaner, tidier and with new speaks and my old CDP installed

I think this'll do me nicely
    Less bling, more integrity ©Spenagio

I'm Dan.

Low Rent?

I would not call it that mike its higher end of the scale then that.

Kendal II's eh? What are they like in comparison to the conway's? I have the Durham MK1 Lovely little things they are must give them a run.

HMM QUAD.......LOVELY MY SON RUN MY 3 Series last week the magic is still their something i will NEVER let go thats a fact. I also have a 405 MK1 with MK2 Boards sounding excellent aswell classic power amps for sure. Have you got the Ken Kessler "Quad The Closest approach book its a fabulous read one to keep a look out for.
    Bi Amplification
    Quad 33 with current Mod for CD
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

I'm sorted.

Very tidy & nice turntable but wasn't keen on the phono stage in the 34.

I'm Mike.

Hiya Dan,

The Kendals are a touch clearer than the Conways but with a bit less bass; probably a bit better suited to my small room than the Conways tbh.

My 405 has the 405-2 boards fitted and I must admit it has really surprised me.

By low rent I meant cost as opposed to SQ. Other than the TT and the cart none of the other components worried £100

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Very tidy & nice turntable but wasn't keen on the phono stage in the 34.
    Quite rate the MM phono stage Roy. Not as good as some I have / have owned but in context, absolutely fine.

I'm Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post
    Hiya Dan,

The Kendals are a touch clearer than the Conways but with a bit less bass; probably a bit better suited to my small room than the Conways tbh.

My 405 has the 405-2 boards fitted and I must admit it has really surprised me.

By low rent I meant cost as opposed to SQ. Other than the TT and the cart none of the other components worried £100
    Fair on the kendall's the Durhams are really quite tight in the bass department to be honest but always tuneful

Watching the penny's you could do a a lot worse you know i'm waiting for my Quantum Electronics to arrive this week exciting times......
    Bi Amplification
    Quad 33 with current Mod for CD
    2 Quad 303 Bi Amped
    Turntable
    Thorens TD 125 MK1 , SME 3009 S2 Non Improved , Shure V15 II , SME 2000 Plinth
    CD Transport & DAC & PSU
    Marantz 6005 , Beresford Caiman , Paul Hynes SR4
    Loudspeakers
    Tannoy 615 MK2
    Cassette
    Goodmans GSW 435

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Well done you for costs

The 34 can have its op-amps looked at and there's a reliability check necessary on the supply caps too, which can leak all over the main board. If you haven't already, do please look at the Dada website as their update kits are not expensive and do really update without losing touch, if you see what I mean. I believe an op-amp change may be all that's needed...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Shane.

That is a nice looking system, Mike.

Those Talk 3 cables have a good reputation.

S.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Well done you for costs

The 34 can have its op-amps looked at and there's a reliability check necessary on the supply caps too, which can leak all over the main board. If you haven't already, do please look at the Dada website as their update kits are not expensive and do really update without losing touch, if you see what I mean. I believe an op-amp change may be all that's needed...
    Thanks Dave,

The PSU caps 'look' to be in good order and there are no audible signs otherwise. On the subject of to upgrade or not, I think I fall into the camp of leave as is, as the SQ is perfectly respectable and I would prefer to own an original spec classic as far as possible.

I am, however, certainly thinking of changing input sensitivity as it can be a pain in practical use. Just not too sure how easy this is to do properly.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by southall-1998 View Post
    That is a nice looking system, Mike.

Those Talk 3 cables have a good reputation.

S.
    Hi Shane,

Thanks for your kind comments; I love the utilitarian looks of the old Quad gear

Ahh, the cables, I am not a believer in foo cables. The Talk 3 stuff is as good as anything else I have tried and is very good value for money.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast