+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice and recommendations needed on a pair of speakers up to £800

Box13 Guest

Default Yamaha NS1000M's

Musicians tend to go for these, does that tell us anything?

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by MATMAH View Post
    Ok, bit of a strange one this, but I have just got rid of my studio monitors (KRK 8's), and looking for something a bit more Hi-Fi for home. I mainly play slow chuggy deep house, minimal techno, nu-disco, and experimental hip hop, as well as that I do listen to a fair bit of dub reggae, northern soul, and other sixties style of music, with a 50/50 mix of this being vinyl and digital.

I am currently looking for a replacement pair of speakers, of which sound quality is more important than volume, but a certain amount of volume is still needed. The reason for this is that I DJ in a very small champagne bar once in a while, and by small I mean 30-40 capacity if that (I have a Funktion One system for larger venues and the KRK 8's were fine for this small bar). Ideally I want to produce a very high quality sound in this bar, but volume is not too much of importance (think playing semi loud in large living room).
    I know that I would need a sub for this and currently looking at the BK Monolith to purchase afterwards, but this can change if it is not a good match for my mains, or is not needed.

Just to give you an idea of my tastes, the Sonus Faber Venere 2.0's in walnut are probably my favourite speakers at the moment, but unfortunately are a little out of my price range, and I cannot find a pair second hand.

The main reason for the bookshelf's is portability and that space is of a premium, but this is not important, as if I get floorstanders, then the need for a sub may be redundant. I was originally looking at some vintage speakers, but feel that most would be too large for my small flat even and that they would not be able to handle the bass of my more modern music. Other speakers I have looked at recently are listed below which mainly are secondhand ones or end of line products.

Zingali Overture 1
    Focal 726v
    Art Skibo
    KLIPSCH R-28F or RF-82 II
    CURA CA30
    Ruark Equinox
    Rega Research RS7
    Roksan K2
    and a recent recommendation Yamaha NS1000M's

Any help would be appreciated, and for your information my living room is approx 12x15 foot, and being a converted loft apartment has many angles in the ceiling, with a laminate floor.
    I have a pr. Of Spendor S8e's in Cherry for sale (see Private Exhibitions) that you can have for £800 collected. They are significantly better than any of the speakers you list and you certainly won't need a sub. PM me if interested.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Box13 View Post
    Musicians tend to go for these, does that tell us anything?
    It could ...but speaking as an ex-drummer and having known a fair few musicians I wouldn't put my money on it. There is a tendency to favour your own instrument when choosing hifi - often so you can better hear what others are doing (e.g a guitarist wanting to hear other guitarists clearly). Even though I haven't drummed for decades I still listen out for good reproduction that brings out snares and cymbals in the way I know they sound.

Other than that, musicians are as susceptible to likes and dislikes as the rest of us. Worth noting that their sonic experience of a performance is vastly different to that of the audience - whether they play in the middle of a band or orchestra - so experienced comparisons between reproduced and 'live' events is not always a given

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Excellent reply Mike!
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12