+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SME 10 and differences on years

I'm Doruk.

Default SME 10 and differences on years

Hello

Has anyone experienced/know the differences between recent and 10 years old SME10 turntables?
    I know that the power supply of the old model with 33 and 45rpm had been chaanged in 2005 with some technical upgrades which also allows 78rpm option. As far as i know the turntable itself is totally same since its been first produced.

Sound quality wise, is this new psu really improves the performance? Its quite expensive and it left me doubtful about buying an old but nice working kit..
    Is there anything that i need to consider when buying an used sme10?
    Many thanks

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by dhemen View Post
    Hello

Has anyone experienced/know the differences between recent and 10 years old SME10 turntables?
    I know that the power supply of the old model with 33 and 45rpm had been chaanged in 2005 with some technical upgrades which also allows 78rpm option. As far as i know the turntable itself is totally same since its been first produced.

Sound quality wise, is this new psu really improves the performance? Its quite expensive and it left me doubtful about buying an old but nice working kit..
    Many thanks
    I used to be pretty sceptical re the improvements better PSU can make to turntables but recent experiences show that not only do better PSUs make a difference but that different types can also change tonality and presentation - still trying to figure that out and understand how that is even possible.

So yes I would have to say, not having heard the SME 10 old or new, that the newer PSU may bring quiet an improvement to the overall performance.

I would also look for full packaging, instructions, all tools etc. SME items if looked after last for a very long time.

Regards Neil

I'm Deleted.

Default SME 10 and differences on years

Quote Originally Posted by dhemen View Post
    Hello

Many thanks
    As you say, the actual turntable (other than the mat colour) seems to be completely unchanged. However, the PSU, particularly in this kind of TT with a DC motor and a speed sensing servo, does seem to make a significant difference. I have a lot of respect for SME but I also understand production engineering. The 10 is very much their most simplified design in that, although it looks to have a suspension this is not really the case and it is, for all intents and purposes, a suspension-less design.

A friend bought a used SME 10 and it really did look and behave as if it were brand new (and I mean this in a very critical sense). You really would not have known that it wasn't factory fresh and it performed exactly as per manufacturer specs (yes, we tested it). It really was a very nicely made bit of kit. I wasn't wildly taken by the sound, but that's a different matter .

(I'm pretty sure he had the newer power supply, it was only a couple of years ago)
    Account Deleted

I'm peter.

SME are superb engineers; but not experts on electronics. They 'bought in' expertise for the power supplies, and over the long years there have been quite a few (at least eight) modifications to improve the supply. This goes beyond the range of speeds offered, earlier supplies could be prone to throwing off RF on start-up. Others 'froze' and needed a reboot . Later samples include an earthing lead so that you can earth the supply to the deck.
    Personally, I wouldn't spend a lot to get a new power supply, it's too much cost in relation to the cost of a second-hand deck. Whatever the 'theory' the existing supply will probably be absolutely fine.
    I'm not much of a fan of the Model 10, the lack of suspension is audible imo, and it lacks the deep power and grace of the suspended machines. I'd go for something like a Michell Orbe in that price range. It does sound better, to my ears at least.
    Frankly, it is proves possible, you are better saving up for a second hand 20/3 (I wouldn't spend much on a 20/2, the 20/3 is quite a lot better sounding). It costs more, but if it saves you upgrading for many years, it ends up paying for itself. If you do want a Model 10, make sure you have it on a good isolation shelf. Personally, I'd also be inclined to 'sweeten' it by using something like an M2-9 arm rather than a 309 or whatever. That helps with the slight tendency to 'greyness' that the Model 10 can demonstrate if used in an unsympathetic system.
    Don't get me wrong, the Model 10 is a real SME, with all that entails in quality and durability. But if you can find the extra money, it might be worth saving up. Incidedntally, while I have not heard one, the new Model 15 is apparently pretty special, and it's also the least expensive SME with a suspension. Could be hopeful in the longer run.
    Later: just checked, the new power supply is about £1700. Can't make any financial sense . Best to make sure the Model ten is in good condition, then just enjoy it 'as is.'.
    Or buy a new one, at those prices it probably wouldn't cost much more!
    Last edited by paskinn; 25-07-2015 at 15:03.

+ Reply to Thread