+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cambridge 740a problem's

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Default Cambridge 740a problem's

My 740a has developed 2 annoying fault's .

The volume control has started to become wildly erratic , when i try to turn it down it go's up like crazy (Wife getting )

Also i now have unbalance between channel's with the right side very dominant ' my new Beatles stereo CD's have suddenly become Mono.

This all very frustrating as i love the amp ' so its a trip back to Richer's tomorrow, i spoke to Matt and they will send it off for repair.

I have heard that CA have reliability problem's so this seems to be the case alas.
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Gary.

Hey Chris,
    I have bought quite alot of CA kit over the last 5 years or so, and I agree about reliability problems.

I've had:

2 540D dvd players:
    first was DOA, the second had BAD colour problems and really gritty picture quality.
    Got a refund, bought a Sony upscaling player instead - quality.

2 640C CD players (V1's)
    first blew a channel after 8 weeks, the second dead on both chanels after 8 months.
    Got a V2 for my troubles (thanks Richers) and it worked fine.
    Until I sold it when I got into Music server/Dac replay.

I'm still running a CA 640a amplifier but its now developed an intermitant "dry joint" problem on one channel.

Makes you wonder.....huh?

No more CA kit for me (well, maybe an 840a if it trumps a Nait 5i that is)
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Ralph.

Mass production cost per unit=next-to-nothing. Quality control cost per unit=a-whole-lot-more.
    So why worry, if the unit fails under warranty give the customer a new one, if it outlasts the warranty period the retailer/manufacturer are quids in. Either way it's the poor old customer that's left a heap of worthless junk. Really, just what is the difference between the Richer stuff and the garbage the likes of Dixons and the supermarkets sell?
    What me, cynical?

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Yes i can't argue your point really ' still the customer service i got was excellent 'and they loaned me a black 740a 'which works perfectly ' so far ' .

Hi Gazjam ' i think the 740a and 840 are both superb amp's but voiced very differently to Naim ' it would be very interesting to compare with a Nait ' though not with Naim speakers .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

+ Reply to Thread