+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: In praise of the sme v (chapter two)

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Sure, I agree. However, let me put it this way:

There are two tonearms that you're considering buying, one (to you) looks absolutely gorgeous, but sounds (to your ears) 10% worse than the other arm, which sounds utterly stunning, but merely looks 'ok'. Both are built well, function faultlessly, and price isn't an issue. Which one would you buy?

Me? I'd go for the latter EVERY time, without even a moment's thought!!

Marco.
    I doubt very much whether I'd be able to gauge whether something was 10% better or worse, so I'd go for the cheaper option. I'm not made of money!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Lol.... Forget about the percentage rating - just think of it along the lines of the better looking arm sounding *notably* worse to your ears than the other one. Would you still choose it simply because it looked better, even though it sounded worse, given that both arms in question are built well, function faultlessly, and price isn't an issue?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mika.

<offtopic>

Btw, during the years with this interest I have met several people claiming that aesthetics and other values do not mean anything to them and they concentrate only to sound quality while doing decisions. However as per my view only few actually qualify and from their listening rooms and systems would not prefer to share any pics '

</offtopic>
    Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

Yup, I can believe that! Here's a couple of pics of my 'big old wardrobes' (Lockwood Majors with Tannoy 15"MGs), shown demonstrated at a hi-fi show in the UK, which I can assure you were not chosen for their looks [even though I dig retro]!

Big and ugly? Perhaps, but fookin' ell do they sound good - and way better than anything 'prettier' I've heard that's made today!!

Marco.

P.S Most of my system was used in that demo, including the Sony DAC (shown in the first pic under the smaller Bel Canto CDP), Technics T/T, Copper amp and Croft preamplifier.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mika.

Well that doesn't look so bad to my eyes for what comes to the equipment. Not big nor ugly. In proper room and set up might actually be quite nice

Anyway perhaps ten or twenty+ years ago I was thinking bravely I make my choices solely based on sound quality but the years have taught me otherwise. It is good to know who you really are and what do you actually want as that will make your life much easier..
    Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

Quote Originally Posted by Mika K View Post
    Well that doesn't look so bad to my eyes for what comes to the equipment. Not big nor ugly. In proper room and set up might actually be quite nice
    It does (for me), although you haven't seen it on Phase 17 Mana, which you could also say is, aesthetically, an 'acquired taste'!

The racks weren't chosen for their looks either!!

Marco.

P.S Those pics are from 2009.
    Main System

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Lol.... Forget about the percentage rating - just think of it along the lines of the better looking arm sounding *notably* worse to your ears than the other one. Would you still choose it simply because it looked better, even though it sounded worse, given that both arms in question are built well, function faultlessly, and price isn't an issue?

Marco.
    Well, obviously I'd choose the better-sounding item. In any case, my tonearm's in a dark corner of the room and thus almost 'invisible' anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Well, obviously I'd choose the better-sounding item.
    Nice one. There's no 'obviously' about it, though. Trust me, some dafties wouldn't. They would sacrifice that '10%' of sonics for looks!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Trey.

Marco, did you have your Lockwood cabinets built to order, or were they already installed? If you did choose those, what drove your decision?
    Trey.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234