+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stock Arm Rewire recommendations?

I'm Mark.

Default Stock Arm Rewire recommendations?

Good evening all,

Can anyone recommend someone in the South West (pref Devon) in which to Cardas rewire my 1210 tonearm?

Would rather take a drive & deliver it in person than package it all up.

Thanks.

I'm Andrei.

Hi there Mark.
    I can't give a recommendation for obvious reasons, but I do have a couple of points you may be interested in.
    First, what is your 1210, Mk2 or Mk5 (or something else)? From Mk5g onward the wiring was improved so you would get a minimal benefit from a rewire.
    Second, I did the rewire myself but that turned out to be a waste of money when I upgraded the tonearm. So if you have long-term plans for your 1210 it may be better to hold out for an upgraded tonearm that will include better wiring.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei View Post
    Hi there Mark.
    I can't give a recommendation for obvious reasons, but I do have a couple of points you may be interested in.
    First, what is your 1210, Mk2 or Mk5 (or something else)? From Mk5g onward the wiring was improved so you would get a minimal benefit from a rewire.
    Second, I did the rewire myself but that turned out to be a waste of money when I upgraded the tonearm. So if you have long-term plans for your 1210 it may be better to hold out for an upgraded tonearm that will include better wiring.
    It's the MK2 so doesn't benefit from the upgraded wiring. I read one of your posts a while back of your wishing that you'd not had the rewire done and held out for a new arm. That option won't be in the pipeline for me for quite some time hence the reason for a reasonable stopgap.

I'm Spartacus.

Nothing wrong with the stock arm and it's actually hugely underrated even before you include the exceptional mechanism for VTA adjustment. If you have basic DIY skills you could try this yourself. Lots of help here and online. The trickiest bit may be the soldering and you could always ask someone for help here.
    Cheers, Jeff

I'm Mark.

I did flirt with the idea Jeff. I could do everything bar the soldering. Time to do a ring round friends and see who possesses what skills!

I'm Jim.

The wire upgrade (Cardas) is a notable improvement over the stock. I do think that the stock arm is extremely good, after the rewire I knew that only a completely bonkers arm would be an improvement.
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

+ Reply to Thread