+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Amplifier

Box13 Guest

Default Amplifier

I have just spent the last couple of hours sticking my second hand set up upstairs in the study.
    This leaves me with the rega, a Little Bear is ordered so I can listen to it on headphones [Intempo]
    I am now looking for an amplifier in the region of £800 - £1000.

What is your favourite?
    What would you recommend?
    Do I go for valve, trivista, nuvista or transistor?
    If I got a power amp, could I use my Little Bear pre-amp with it?
    All opinions gratefully accepted in the spirit of the club.
    Last edited by Box13; 12-07-2015 at 10:39. Reason: reword

I'm Alan.

The nuvistor is a miniature valve, as also is the made up name Trivistor being a 5703WB in fact.

So in reality you only have the choice between valve (tube or thermionic) or solid state amplification.

The choice is huge but expect to pay more for quality valve amplification, one of the critical components is the output transformer and good ones aren't cheap.

I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    The nuvistor is a miniature valve, as also is the made up name Trivistor being a 5703WB in fact.

So in reality you only have the choice between valve (tube or thermionic) or solid state amplification.
    Or hybrids. But the choice is huge, especially if secondhand is OK, and mostly comes down to what speakers you have, and how they like/need to be driven. I've had both valve and solid state, and have settled on the latter because it's lower maintenance to someone like me whose DIY skills are non-existent, and sounds just as good to my ears.

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Or hybrids. But the choice is huge, especially if secondhand is OK, and mostly comes down to what speakers you have, and how they like/need to be driven. I've had both valve and solid state, and have settled on the latter because it's lower maintenance to someone like me whose DIY skills are non-existent, and sounds just as good to my ears.
    Fully agree with that comment which is why I shall soon be kitting myself out with Glen Croft's Series 7 monoblocks. I already have a Micro 25 Basic so I am almost fully hybrid.

I'm Alan.

Croft's hybrid approach is in my opinion the way to go, by using modern power FETs you get the best of everything.

FETs are the closest to the way a valve works that any solid state device can offer, but without the draw back of requiring a large heater power and the high 'internal resistance' Ra of a valve.

Long live FET's
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

Box13 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Croft's hybrid approach is in my opinion the way to go, by using modern power FETs you get the best of everything.

FETs are the closest to the way a valve works that any solid state device can offer, but without the draw back of requiring a large heater power and the high 'internal resistance' Ra of a valve.

Long live FET's

I'll have a look, thank you.

Box13 Guest

Default Little bear BLUE P5-1 stereo tube valve buffer Preamp Preamplifier amp ver1.3 AC

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2915130768...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Just bought one of these for £5:50.
    Could it run a power amp?

Box13 Guest

Default Usually £25:00

Box13 Guest

Default I will be running it with these

These beauties represent marvelous value for money

I'm Phil.

What are they?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast