+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: In praise of the sme v

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post

Nurse! Nurse!
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Richard.

I had to laugh. I think my office is bugged. Now humour me guys - I get accused of all manner of bizarre conspiracy theories on HiFi forums, but honest guv

I don't own Bloomberg & I don't control their editorial policy

Are they losing it? Photographer: Jasper Juinen/Bloomberg

Europe's Insane Deal With Greece
    69 Jul 13, 2015 11:24 AM EDT
    By Eric Beinhocker

If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, the leaders of Europe and Greece are insane.

Are they losing it? Photographer: Jasper Juinen/BloombergFacebookTwitterLinkedInGoogle+EmailGreece Europe's Insane Deal With Greece69 Jul 13, 2015 11:24 AM EDTBy Eric BeinhockerIf the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result, the leaders of Europe and Greece are insane.

Actually, if anyone is interested, the 3 current Bloomberg editorials about Greece provide a decent proper explanation of the situation. But I was just amused to find myself being quoted

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

What's that got to do with the thread topic, Richard?

No offence, honestly, but I have to admit that I often struggle to understand what you're 'on about', when you go off on these tangents....

Marco.

P.S Plus your linky, no worky...
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm joe.

If the Greeks are forced out of the Euro, they may adopt the gold-plated SME V as the unit of currency.

Actually, this invoking of Einstein is known as an 'argument from authority'; in effect: 'Einstein was a smart bloke, Einstein said this, therefore this is true'. This pre-supposes that Einstein was infallible, whereas only the Pope in Council is.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    If the Greeks are forced out of the Euro, they may adopt the gold-plated SME V as the unit of currency.

Actually, this invoking of Einstein is known as an 'argument from authority'; in effect: 'Einstein was a smart bloke, Einstein said this, therefore this is true'. This pre-supposes that Einstein was infallible, whereas only the Pope in Council is.
    No. I just think it was supposed to be funny. Einstein was famous for a little twinkle in his eye and some humour.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    What's that got to do with the thread topic, Richard?

No offence, honestly, but I have to admit that I often struggle to understand what you're 'on about', when you go off on these tangents....

Marco.

P.S Plus your linky, no worky...
    I know you insist on a reply every time, so

On this thread topic I used the very well known, old cliche joke "the definition of stupidity is doing the same thing and expecting a different outcome" and this was held by other forum members to be not well known, and intended as an insult

2 days later, Bloomberg uses (almost) the same well known, old cliche joke "the definition of insanity..."

I was just pointing out that, honest guv, I didn't make it up - it is frightfully well known and quite often quoted, without intending to cause offence, as a way of illustrating a point that if you want a different outcome to anything, you need to try something different.

That's it. Not sure about the link, but Google Bloomberg, News, "opinion" and you get their editorial. 3 good 'uns on the Greek situation.

Edit: try this one http://www.bloombergview.com/article...al-with-greece
    Last edited by Oldpinkman; 14-07-2015 at 10:31. Reason: new link

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    No. I just think it was supposed to be funny. Einstein was famous for a little twinkle in his eye and some humour.
    And, even more amusingly, it looks like he didn't say it anyway:

http://www.news.hypercrit.net/2012/1...idnt-say-that/

'I began looking into the quote to find out what Einstein actually said only to find that, in all likelihood, he never actually said or wrote the witticism about insanity.

According to Ryan Howes, writing in Psychology Today, the quote has been attributed to Einstein, Ben Franklin and Mark Twain. A good summary of the various places the quote has been used can be found here.

Franklin and Twain are almost certainly not the sources of the quote, witty as those fellows were. Online, sources commonly attribute the quote to Einstein in his Letters to Solovine: 1906-1955, although no one seems to be able to produce a page from that volume that holds the quote (and Google books searches have also come up empty).'

Ah, gotcha now! This bit is what caused the confusion:

Quote Originally Posted by Oldpinkman View Post
    2 days later, Bloomberg uses (almost) the same well known, old cliche joke "the definition of insanity..."
    I don't watch 'Bloomberg'; indeed rarely do I follow the news these days, other than the local Welsh stuff, so I had no idea what you were referring to, and thus what it had to do with the discussion in hand. The Greece financial thing bores the pants off of me, as I'm fed up hearing about it any time I should happen to watch the news. Being an accountant, however, I appreciate that such things may excite you.

Remember though that others aren't necessarily into the same/follow the same stuff as you, and so may not instantly pick up on it, when you refer to it!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hi Neil,

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Frankly I don't think its a good choice on a Technics unless one likes a very neutral, almost clinically bland presentation - this can to a degree be countered with a more colourful slightly warmer cartridge and non VDH output armcable. My own view is that the more up market Origin Live arms and Funk suit better. I haven't heard Marcos Ortofon arm but again I feel it and the SPU might sit to the more colourful side of neutral thus countering the clinical, somewhat cool Technics sound.
    I agree with your views about SME (magnesium) arms on an SL-1200/1210, although trust me, a 3009 or M2-9R (with the right cartridge) is a rather different prospect - bland they are not!

It's not so much that the SPU is 'colourful' (although I understand what you mean), but rather that, unlike some other cartridges made today, it doesn't strip music of its natural warmth and texture, by being designed to appeal to the spec sheet more than the ears.

Ditto with the Ortofon arm, which is simply a natural carrier for an SPU, thus the two work symbiotically and combine to produce wonderfully rich and realistic sounding music - the complete opposite of cool and clinical, and the Techy simply acts as a neutral platform from which to showcase their abilities.

*That* is true synergy at work, and why I've managed to obtain such a musically rewarding sound from my T/T

I also agree with your view on the tendency of the Technics to sound 'cool and clinical' - and there are valid reasons for that - therefore one should seek to ameliorate that effect with one's choice of arm and cartridge. After all, if you've got an amplifier that exhibits 'cool and clinical' tendencies, the last thing you'd do is buy a pair of speakers with the same sonic signature....

So why would you not apply the same principle to a turntable? At the end of the day, it's all about creating synergy, and IMO those who've bought a Technics T/T, modified it, and not managed to get the sound that they were looking for, most likely didn't get the arm/cartridge combination right.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456