I'm a habitual second hand hi-fi buyer, I hit the carboots just about every week, local auctions whenever I can and can't pass a skip without digging through it. I've had some amazing finds but the majority of them are broken or missing something and generally the cost or availability of replacement second hand parts prohibits repair. I can't bring myself to throw these items away, nor can I be bothered to strip them down, photograph and list all the individual components for sale so they go into (my now various) bone yards to collect dust.

I'm sure I'm not the only person here who does this.

My proposal is that we have a place where members can simply list the equipment they have available for spares with a brief description, e.g. in my hallway waiting to be moved into a relevant bone yard I have:
Nad 3120 - Doesn't power on,
Marantz CD63SE - Needs new pickup,
Thorens TD160 - Motor spindle knocking.

Ideally this would be easy to search so any members who've just had a part fail or picked something up that needs a replacement part can quickly check to see if there are any listings and get in touch with the relevant member(s). My thought with this is that it should be in the community spirit, members helping each other out and should not be another outlet for opportunistic over inflated prices.

I think this would be a great way to keep old, otherwise pretty much worthless equipment in service and help members such as myself who have a tendency to hoard to thin down their "collections" (or at least make some room for new arrivals ), safe in the knowledge that they've saved another item from the tip.

What do you think?