+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What about a "Spares" section?

I'm Darren.

Default What about a "Spares" section?

I'm a habitual second hand hi-fi buyer, I hit the carboots just about every week, local auctions whenever I can and can't pass a skip without digging through it. I've had some amazing finds but the majority of them are broken or missing something and generally the cost or availability of replacement second hand parts prohibits repair. I can't bring myself to throw these items away, nor can I be bothered to strip them down, photograph and list all the individual components for sale so they go into (my now various) bone yards to collect dust.

I'm sure I'm not the only person here who does this.

My proposal is that we have a place where members can simply list the equipment they have available for spares with a brief description, e.g. in my hallway waiting to be moved into a relevant bone yard I have:
    Nad 3120 - Doesn't power on,
    Marantz CD63SE - Needs new pickup,
    Thorens TD160 - Motor spindle knocking.

Ideally this would be easy to search so any members who've just had a part fail or picked something up that needs a replacement part can quickly check to see if there are any listings and get in touch with the relevant member(s). My thought with this is that it should be in the community spirit, members helping each other out and should not be another outlet for opportunistic over inflated prices.

I think this would be a great way to keep old, otherwise pretty much worthless equipment in service and help members such as myself who have a tendency to hoard to thin down their "collections" (or at least make some room for new arrivals ), safe in the knowledge that they've saved another item from the tip.

What do you think?
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Andrew.

This is a great idea. +1
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Geoff.

Could be time consuming. You're talking about half my possessions here.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Darren.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Could be time consuming. You're talking about half my possessions here.
    As for time consuming, this is why I suggest a simple list. You pick something up, it doesn't work, you identify the problem and attempt in vain to find a spare part, at that stage you post the model and problem before shelving it, listing it would constitute a very small percentage of the time you've spent working on it. Admittedly if you have an extensive collection to back catalog this could take sometime but in an ideal world you'll find the parts you need for some of these "projects" listed by someone else as well as thinning down by moving other parts on.
    Darren.
    Listening Room.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Turn Table. Garrard 401, Reso Mat, 2 Tier Slate Plinth, DIY Hadcock GH242, Nick G modded Lentek, Denon DL-103.
    Pre Amp. Croft Super Micro2. Power Amps Quad 405 Mono Blocks.
    Speakers. TBC

Home Cinema.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    DAC/Pre Amp. Denon AVC X3700H.
    BDP/Streamer. Panasonic DP-UB820EB / Apple TV4K.
    Display. Optoma UHD51 / DIY False Black Window Screen.
    Power Amps. 2 x Nakamichi AVP1.
    Front Speakers. DIY Baby Celestion Ditton 66. Surround Speakers. Celestion Ditton 11. Subwoofer. BK Electronics P12 300SB PR.

Old Gallery. http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-of-the-70%92s

I'm Neil.

To my mind this doesn't require a new section as its in reality items for sale, so they deserve their own listings within Private Exhibitions come the time for sale.

Regards Neil

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    To my mind this doesn't require a new section as its in reality items for sale, so they deserve their own listings within Private Exhibitions come the time for sale.

Regards Neil
    I agree. Non functional Hi-Fi items and spare parts are just as worthy of inclusion in Private Exhibitions as anything else. As long as condition is made clear.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

Location: Walsall, W Midlands, (an area of the country that doesn't seem to exist) England.

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by DarrenHW View Post
    I think this would be a great way to keep old, otherwise pretty much worthless equipment in service and help members such as myself who have a tendency to hoard to thin down their "collections" (or at least make some room for new arrivals ), safe in the knowledge that they've saved another item from the tip.

What do you think?
    I think that's bang on !! I get sick, tired and fed with the exploitation that goes on in places such as eBay - the prices on there have gone nuts!!!!! I much prefer what you have said and recycle bits and pieces to help members out etc Good suggestion.
    It isn't necessarily about doing things right, its also about doing the right thing !!!!!

ITS A LONG WAY TO THE TOP........................ WHEN YA WANNA ROCK N ROLL !!!

Pioneer SA-9800, SG-9800, TX-9800, P-D70, PD-7500, TX-D1000, PL-12D, HPM-60, REL Quake.

Mission Cyrus II + PSX Transformer. Marantz CD-52 MkII Sp Edtn. Sony Mini-Disc MDS-JE530. Thorens TD-166MkII.
    Nakamichi Cassette Deck 2. Linn Index II + Ku-Stone Stands. REL Strata. Linn Interconnects throughout and Chord Flat Strand speaker cable.

Raspberry Pi / AUDIOPHONICS I-Sabre DAC ES9023 TCXO Streamer.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Are these spares 'gratis' or would you charge for them? If they are for sale, then the condition that they be accompanied by a photograph still applies.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Are these spares 'gratis' or would you charge for them? If they are for sale, then the condition that they be accompanied by a photograph still applies.
    Yes. I think that should be the case, as it is for other items offered for sale. There have been items needing attention and component parts offered before and the rules have applied.

Dunno about freebies, but it would be good to have photos.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yes. I think that should be the case, as it is for other items offered for sale. There have been items needing attention and component parts offered before and the rules have applied.

Dunno about freebies, but it would be good to have photos.
    So the "Spares Section" would be a sub-forum of Private Exhibitions?
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast