+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Your First Proper Hi-Fi System

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    This was my first Hi-Fi system. I moved on ages ago.

That system makes me think of the Back To The Future movie!
    Vertere SG-1 Turntable / Audio Note IO Gold MC
    Audio Note AN-S8L MC Transformer
    Audio Note Pallas I/C (SUT-Preamp)
    Audio Note M6 Phono Preamp
    Audio Note CDT 3/Audio Note 4.1X Balanced Signature DAC
    Audio Note Kassai Monoblocks
    Audio Note Sogon Interconnects
    Audio Note Pallas Interconnects
    Audio Note AN-Vx Interconnects
    Audio Note Sogon Speaker Cables
    Audio Note AN-E SPE HE speakers
    Audio Note ISIS Power Cables
    Loricraft PRC-4 Record Cleaning Machine

Ziggy Guest

Mine was back in 1979 from Comet. Pioneer PL514 TT/Ortofon Cartridge/Armstrong 625 tuner amplifier/Celestion Ditton 15XR speakers. A Sansui cassette deck was soon added. Brings back memories. Sounded brilliant, compared with the previous music centre.

I'm Timothy.

Don, that was some really nice Luxman gear. I grew up around that time as well, and pretty much lusted after those nice rosewood cheeked pieces of gear! I also recall a "friend" of mine trying to get me to purchase a pair of the Cerwin Vega pink-ringed speakers of terror, or as I called them, the "Thunder-Boomers". Well, they certainly could rock, but to me, that was about it. Glad I didn't bite, although back then, it was a bit of a different ballgame it seems.
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

I'm Don.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazeur1 View Post
    Don, that was some really nice Luxman gear. I grew up around that time as well, and pretty much lusted after those nice rosewood cheeked pieces of gear! I also recall a "friend" of mine trying to get me to purchase a pair of the Cerwin Vega pink-ringed speakers of terror, or as I called them, the "Thunder-Boomers". Well, they certainly could rock, but to me, that was about it. Glad I didn't bite, although back then, it was a bit of a different ballgame it seems.
    Good for you Tim! I wish I had been as smart as you. But, I trusted my friend and presumed that he knew better than me. I should have known better as the buying experience was as crappy as you would expect! Pushy salesmen on the busy street shop and they didn't seem to know a thing about what they were selling.

When I went back to Sound Gallery in Burnaby (suburb of Vancouver), it was back to being a most pleasant experience. It took me a while at high school wages to save up for each piece, but it was worth it. I later sold that system to a close friend when I bought my Classe Audio separates in 1989. He is still using that setup as far as I know.
    Vertere SG-1 Turntable / Audio Note IO Gold MC
    Audio Note AN-S8L MC Transformer
    Audio Note Pallas I/C (SUT-Preamp)
    Audio Note M6 Phono Preamp
    Audio Note CDT 3/Audio Note 4.1X Balanced Signature DAC
    Audio Note Kassai Monoblocks
    Audio Note Sogon Interconnects
    Audio Note Pallas Interconnects
    Audio Note AN-Vx Interconnects
    Audio Note Sogon Speaker Cables
    Audio Note AN-E SPE HE speakers
    Audio Note ISIS Power Cables
    Loricraft PRC-4 Record Cleaning Machine

I'm Timothy.

Oh don't worry Don, believe me, I made quite a few diversions and errors not long afterwards, some may say I still am on the wrong path! Somehow around the same time frame as the Cerwins, I ended up with a pair of Bose 301 Series 1's. Long story....Ugh.

My main start into a setup was the good old MCS series, the JC Penney branded gear. I had a receiver, cassette deck and turntable, with AT cartridge and pair of small bookshelves. Some of it actually wasn't bad, typical entry level Pioneer of the days, but not a patch on the real thing. It was all down hill after that. Or should that be uphill?
    Holbo TT-Nag 110-Croft phono/Innuos Zen MK2/LinnenberG Telemann DAC-Preamp/LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs/Duevel Venus/LinnenberG Maestro SE-Senn. 660S DH Labs cabling

Croft Series 7 amps, WLM La Scala, Naim Uniti1, Naim Nait XS3, Naim ND5XS2, Guru Junior

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567