+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your First Proper Hi-Fi System

I'm Geoff.

Default Your First Proper Hi-Fi System

Have any of you got photos of your first system? I thought a thread on this might be fun. If you've got no photos, just tell us about it.

Here's mine:

I found an old (very grainy) photo of my first proper Hi Fi setup. This was circa 1971.

The pickup arm was an Audio Developments AD309K, housing a Shure of some sort. All mounted on a Connoisseur BD1, assembled from a kit and mounted on a very basic plinth. The amp is a Ferrograph F307 (which I never got on with). The speakers are Tannoy IIILZ.

Soon afterwards, I changed the TT for a Thorens TD150 with a Decca International arm and Decca London Blue cartridge. The Ferrograph amp went and a lovely Rotel RA-611 replaced it. The Tannoys stayed. Now we're talking, it sounded in a different league!
    Last edited by walpurgis; 09-07-2015 at 10:09.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Sorry no photos, but my first system was mono:

Shure M3D in a Garrard SP25 Mk. II (?) into a home-built Mullard 5-10 valve amp using a Sugden C-51 preamp. The speaker was a home-built 1.5cu ft distributed port Wharfedale design using a Wharfedale Super 8/RS/DD drive unit.

Stereo followed with a second Mullard 5-10 and a second identical speaker. Front end was then changed to a Shure M55E in an SME arm on a Collaro 2020 turntable. Now that was my "first proper hi-fi system"!
    Barry

I'm sorted.

Another chance to see this glorious wallpaper

Akai AP003 belt drive turntable (have recently got another of these off ebay for £7 and realised it really wasn't very good), JVC & Amstrad(!) cassette decks, Fidelity tuner, Dynatron Transpower 90 amp & Dynatron speakers (taping stuff off the radio by the looks on things).

I'm Geoff.

Yes. I ran various 'oddments' prior to the system in my photo. I had the ubiquitous SP25 III with a Shure, a Japanese Olson amp (from Tandy) that sounded OK really and a pair of awful EMI 450 drivers in chipboard boxes. The EMIs were replaced by a pair of Eagle FR65 drive units that sounded damn good. But I didn't really regard this lot as Hi-Fi.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy S View Post
    Another chance to see this glorious wallpaper

Akai AP003 belt drive turntable (have recently got another of these off ebay for £7 and realised it really wasn't very good), JVC & Amstrad(!) cassette decks, Fidelity tuner, Dynatron Transpower 90 amp & Dynatron speakers (taping stuff off the radio by the looks on things).
    and even busier curtains nice system though!
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Roy. I bet you were wearing velvet flares, paisley shirt and cuban heeled 'western' boots when you took that photo.

I'm sorted.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    velvet flares, paisley shirt and cuban heeled 'western' boots

(Not far off, don't know what was on my feet, I'm guessing platforms)

I'm Grant.

used to have a pair of twotone purple platforms myself to my everlasting shame... loved them at the time too
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    used to have a pair of twotone purple platforms myself to my everlasting shame... loved them at the time too
    Now that's an admission that should not be publicised!
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Being a short bloke I thought the trend for platforms and cuban heels was good, then I realised all the big blokes wore them too, so I was back to square one!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast