+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Firebottle KIN line/phono preamp demo in West Midlands

I'm Peter.

Oooh!
    Peter

I'm James.

Another great session with the Firebottle KIN with some extremely good results and synergy with the rest of my system.

One or two tracks via the VPI/2M Black were indeed gobsmacking!

As I have said before the phono stage via the KIN preamp in Alans latest creation is certainly a notch up from previous models but this is probably in conjunction with Alan's new line stage and linear circuit, optimising valve technology.

Further extended listening to come via the Firebottle KIN with a full review/ write up soon.

I'm James.

I have now had a good opportunity to listen extensively across a broad range of music to the Firebottle KIN Preamplifier. I used this in my system with the VPI Scout/ 2M Black ortofon cartridge up front and the Croft Series 7 power into my Spendor SP2's. I did not listen via the linestage as I do not have a digital set up.

The Firebottle KIN has 3 linestage settings and a built in phono stage which is a more advanced version of the Firebottle 2 Phono using Alan's Linear valve technology which translates into reduced distortion. This is certainly audible compared to the stand alone Firebottle Phono stage. The added detail and air around instruments and vocals is more obvious with a very open and transparent presentation.

However the most pronounced feature of the sound presented is its space and 3D soundstage. This is simple superb. It is big and seductive to listen too with great natural presence especially with acoustic instruments and vocals. This is indeed up there with some of the best pre amps I have heard. The acoustic space and reverberation in the 3D soundscape is extremely good. The overall presentation of the sound is both natural and dynamic and very easy on the ear. The Gain can be cranked up without any audible nasties, it simply gets bigger, fuller and more dynamic.

On some of the recordings I have it sounded stunning. The lack of grain in the treble gave it a very smooth but detailed sound and where as some vocals could sound a little harsh the KIN simple allowed them to sound natural and full. It is this lack of distortion, especially in the top end that makes the KIN stand out from the Firebottle phono stage. Alan has also worked some magic on the linestage which I think helps here. There is definitely a synergy between the phono and linestage which makes this a great preamp.

For anyone wanting a preamp with a fantastic phono stage I strongly recommend listening to the Firebottle KIN.

Alan has asked if I could bring this to NEBO6 for anyone who may want a listen in November.

I'm Alan.

Hi James, your inbox is a bit full
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12