+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squeezebox thoughts

I'm Jerry.

Default Squeezebox thoughts

I would like to go down the external storage route for music so I could leave my computer switched off. Most of the NAS devices which have squeezecenter installed are relatively expensive whilst external hard drives have reduced to £50 region. Has anyone managed to get the software on a cheap harddrive or do I resign myself to spending £200+?
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Unfortunately you are resigned to spending money. The problem with most standalone NAS devices is that they cannot run the Squeeze Center client.
    The ones that can are few to say the least, such as the QNAP range. The version of Squeeze Center is also important, as more recent versions have more processor intensive features than earlier versions.

The new Squeezebox Touch might change the situation, but as this is not yet widely available we'll have to wait and see. As the Touch has its' own stripped down version of Squeeze Center built in, it may be possible to point the programme at a dumb NAS, which obviously puts a different slant on things.

Looking at things from a different angle, does your 'puters LAN port have WOL capabilities ? You may be able to rouse your machine from standby if it has, and could be a route to take.

Chris

I'm Peter.

The forthcoming squeezebox touch may solve that problem for you, because youc an attach a USB drive that will be recognised as a network drive by your main computer. It will contain a stripped down version of squeezecenter. Have a look on the squeezebox touch formum, there's loads of info.
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.
    Powered by Custom-HiFi-Cables DC2 psus

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Only thing I can think of is those media player jobs, I don't they'll work with slimserver though, I think Stan uses something like this http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=221816 needs a display though

I was looking at these, no idea if any good http://www.iamm.co.kr/new_2007/eng/index.php?m=2&s=1
    Last edited by leo; 16-09-2009 at 13:51.
    Cheers,
    Leo

I'm Jerry.

I cant see the sense in the Touch-why bother if you have a remote? Anyway its just me being a tight-arse. Given how much pleasure I get out of the old Squeezebox, spending £200 on storage is fair enough.
    But if anyone has a NAS or QNAP with squeezecenter installed and wants to flog it just let me know!
    Jerry
    Hifi: IPL transmission line floorstanding speakers, Squeezebox Touch, Denafrips Ares 11 DAC, DCB1 Pre-amplifier, Croft Series 7 power amp.
    Custom Hifi cables HA10SE headphone amplifier and Hifiman HE-400 headphones.
    AV system: LG 55B7, Denon AVR -x2300w receiver, Quad 12L (front) 11c Centre and 11L rear . Velodyne DD15 subwoofer.

I'm Neal.

??? It's not just a touch screen...theres loads more to it like being able to connect your USB drive or SSD memory card direct to it without having to run any NAS or computer 'server'.....the touch screen part is an added bonus.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Covenant View Post
    I cant see the sense in the Touch-why bother if you have a remote? Anyway its just me being a tight-arse. Given how much pleasure I get out of the old Squeezebox, spending £200 on storage is fair enough.
    But if anyone has a NAS or QNAP with squeezecenter installed and wants to flog it just let me know!
    What ?! Can't see the sense in the touch ? You really need to look over the qsueezebox forum, it's a lot more than just a classic with a touch screen. It's pretty much a server all by itself, just attach USB storage as desired.
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.