+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Firebottle KIN line/phono preamp

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    BIG sound and yet very detailed.
    Many thanks to you and yours for the hospitality Phil. I did rather enjoy the sounds coming from those Martin Logan 'stats
    Stunning speakers.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    Many thanks to you and yours for the hospitality Phil. I did rather enjoy the sounds coming from those Martin Logan 'stats
    Stunning speakers.
    its a pleasure . I love them too
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Andrew.

Alan, the KIN sounds very interesting indeed. Can you tell me what is the output impedance?

I'm Alan.

Hi Andrew, the output impedance is 20 ohms.
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Andrew.

Wow, that is low. So I guess that means it will drive anything.

I'm Andrew.

One more question, why 80dB on the MC gain? It is incredibly high. I realise that has the advantage of being compatible with all carts, even the lowest output, but it is likely to be overwhelming on the average 0.3 - 0.5mV cart. For example, I have an AT50ANV, which is 0.12mV, and 70dB is plenty.

I'm Alan.

Ahh, I have now lowered the gain, it was in all reality a bit excessive.

The byproduct of the high gain has been the removal of an electrolytic cap in the signal chain, which is of course a benefit

Just listening to vinyl through the KIN with a new development on the power amp end of things, it's sounding rather (exceedingly) good. Will be getting a second opinion over the weekend

I'm Andrew.

I would love to hear it, having been already impressed by the your phono stage. If you are ever demoing it anywhere near London, please let me know.

I'm Ken.

Just picked up on this thread.

Looks like a very interesting product in the making, looking forward to hearing it at NEBO6.

On the subject of cost, you can't compare this Pre/Phono with a Croft Micro 25 (my current Pre/Phono) as the picture earlier in the thread shows a lot more in terms of components under the hood than a Micro 25 and I mean a lot more. If you work on the basis of three times the parts = three times the work to put together then a ballpark price of x3 is not a bad starting point. The case is by far the biggest single cost and they both have one so deduct a little, rounding to about x 2.5 and the asking price would fit that area. (Croft £700). I know this is simplistic, having designed and costed hundreds of projects in my time, but these ball park finger in the air estimates can be pretty close to the mark. I would say from the pure heft of components the price would be in that region.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234