+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just trashed my DL-103R - recommend me a replacement

I'm Stephen.

So just to keep you all hanging on I can report that the Malachite body is now at NWA and Dom is going to do a total rebuild on my 103 including coil rewind, DMC cantilever and FG stylus. This will turn it into what he terms a NWA DL103.

I have to say the service from NWA is outstanding. Natalie is fantastic at logistics and communication. If the after sales service is as good as the pre sales service (and I am sure it will be) NWA is that rare breed that combines technical excellence with professional, responsive customer service.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by worrasf; 21-07-2015 at 10:53.
    Always a little further

I'm Graeme.

Good to hear the progress. Dom and Natalie really are good people to deal with. I'd have no hesitation in sending them my cartridge if it ever needs work.

Box13 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    So I've just FUBAR'd the "prime" DL 103R that I had lovingly mounted in an aluminium body

I really liked what it did - so easy to listen to and natural.
    I also really really like my Zyx 100R H - very musical with immense bass but perhaps just a little too "full" in the midrange where the 103R was more open.

So now I'm in the market to replace the 103R what I really want is the best of both worlds. An easy going neutral sounding cartridge that tracks well like the 103R with the bass slam and musicality of the Zyx. Needs to be a MC having just laid out a lot of sovs for upgrading the Croft headamp and work in the Jelco 750D. Not thought of a budget yet.

Suggestions please ??

Steve
    If I was you, I would buy the same again, you can't beat selecting a known quantity.

I'm Vincent.

I have a Denon 304 iI would be up for selling f your interested. I think it's better than the 103

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by puddlesplasher View Post
    I have a Denon 304 iI would be up for selling f your interested. I think it's better than the 103
    Thanks but read my post 11 above
    If your Denon 304 is better than this I'll eat my turntable mat
    Always a little further

I'm Geoff.

Having owned the 304, 103, 103R and other Denon MCs, I can say the 304 does not have the impact and weight of the 103 series. It's refined and clean, but to me at least, does not have a big presence. My Transfiguration Aria sounded virtually identical. Mind you, a ZYX R50 Bloom H would blow them all away!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Having owned the 304, 103, 103R and other Denon MCs, I can say the 304 does not have the impact and weight of the 103 series. It's refined and clean, but to me at least, does not have a big presence. My Transfiguration Aria sounded virtually identical. Mind you, a ZYX R50 Bloom H would blow them all away!
    I'm more than happy with my Zyx R100 H2 - can't wait to see how the new beast matches up - I'm hoping it will combine the strengths of the Zyx and the 103R
    Always a little further

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The DL304 also has very low output and the high compliance won't endear it to massy arms either. It does sound nice in an RB series arm though I remember..
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    I have to say the service from NWA is outstanding. Natalie is fantastic at logistics and communication. If the after sales service is as good as the pre sales service (and I am sure it will be) NWA is that rare breed that combines technical excellence with professional, responsive customer service.
    I do hope so. Looks like you'll be spending a lot of money there...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I do hope so. Looks like you'll be spending a lot of money there...
    True - not cheap and a nod to "HiFi candy" with the malachite body but I've a big birthday coming up .....
    Always a little further

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast