+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just trashed my DL-103R - recommend me a replacement

I'm Mika.

Thumbs up

Also planning to get my Zu DL-103 retipped or upgraded somewhere and NWA is one solid option. So please keep the information coming how things proceed
    Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I'd also consider ESCo and Goldring, who both have decades worth of cartridge rebuilds in their portfolio. I've used ESCo before for various jobs and they are extremely skilled and test their work thoroughly.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    True - not cheap and a nod to "HiFi candy" with the malachite body but I've a big birthday coming up .....
    Hi Stephen,

I'm suitably jealous! I have visited Dom and Nat a few times, and the only issue I have is not overstaying my welcome! I have heard a range of NWA cartridges, against a number of very high end offerings from major players, and have been consistently bowled over by the sound offered by Dom's cartridges. It's very hard to critique in some respects, as I have only ever heard them in his system, but I have seen and heard his offerings evolve. In the first instance, the DH1 would occasionally 'spit' in the upper frequencies, but Dom worked hard to address this and has ended up with a cartridge that is truly sublime...

I have heard both a modified Denon and a modified Supex at Dom's - very much akin to the work he is doing for you - and the results were amazing. What impressed me most of all is the dynamics, allied with an open, even-handedness from the very, very top to the sub-bass bottom. Frankly, remarkable. I have a 103 here that I'd love to get the treatment, but the equivalent of 5 DH1s on home improvements/building work has kicked that one into the long grass for the time being.

No, I have no doubt that you will be blown away with the results - believe me - if I possibly could, I would!

I will be very interested to read how you get on...if you'll forgive me a scintilla of jealousy at the same time

Best Wishes,

Paul.

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    No, I have no doubt that you will be blown away with the results - believe me - if I possibly could, I would!

I will be very interested to read how you get on...if you'll forgive me a scintilla of jealousy at the same time
    Thanks for this Paul - this is exactly what I was hoping the "Dom" upgrade would do - it's going to be about 3 weeks before it's ready but I think will be well worth the wait.
    Steve
    Always a little further

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I'd also consider ESCo and Goldring, who both have decades worth of cartridge rebuilds in their portfolio. I've used ESCo before for various jobs and they are extremely skilled and test their work thoroughly.
    A friend of mine got his 103R rebuilt at ESC not long ago and the new diamond/ruby cantilever is mounted approximately 20 degrees off axis (HTA)
    That was after a three month wait...
    I'll have a chat with Dom at NWA regarding rebuild of my 103SA...

I'm Rick.

Have a look on cryo-parts.com ...he's got some nicely done carts available,
    Rick.

Kenwood KD-650 w/ Denon DL-103 (wood body, Soundsmith elliptical retip), Lite Audio DAC-83 & LT-1 Transport, Luxman M-05 Pure Class 'A' Amplifier, Luxman C-05 preamplifier, Yamaha NS-1000M (beautifully refinished and upgraded) on custom made wood stands.

I once met a woman who would put up with me...so I married her!

I'm Geoff.

I remain to be convinced of any benefits from the general 'cryogenic treatment' of any old bit of Hi-Fi. There may be an argument for its use with conductors, but I suspect there would be limited applications.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Neal.

Goldring rebuilt my 103D extremely well. They don't retip but replace the stylus, cantilever and re wind the armature. very professional service that takes just a few weeks instead of many months....
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Rick.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    I remain to be convinced of any benefits from the general 'cryogenic treatment' of any old bit of Hi-Fi. There may be an argument for its use with conductors, but I suspect there would be limited applications.
    Huh...me too.

The point is though that the gent has some nice carts for sale. Factor in new wood bodies, Soundsmith retipping, potting...his prices can't be bettered to my knowledge.

I bought one of his 103's and love it, cryo treated or no.
    Rick.

Kenwood KD-650 w/ Denon DL-103 (wood body, Soundsmith elliptical retip), Lite Audio DAC-83 & LT-1 Transport, Luxman M-05 Pure Class 'A' Amplifier, Luxman C-05 preamplifier, Yamaha NS-1000M (beautifully refinished and upgraded) on custom made wood stands.

I once met a woman who would put up with me...so I married her!

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    I've had a couple of units rebuilt by ESCo and while I have no issues with the quality of the work I found the customer service somewhat "brusque" - a bit like they were doing me a favour so not going back - especially as I have now discovered NWA whose customer service is superb
    Always a little further

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123