+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just trashed my DL-103R - recommend me a replacement

I'm Stephen.

Default Just trashed my DL-103R - recommend me a replacement - Resolved

So I've just FUBAR'd the "prime" DL 103R that I had lovingly mounted in an aluminium body

I really liked what it did - so easy to listen to and natural.
    I also really really like my Zyx 100R H - very musical with immense bass but perhaps just a little too "full" in the midrange where the 103R was more open.

So now I'm in the market to replace the 103R what I really want is the best of both worlds. An easy going neutral sounding cartridge that tracks well like the 103R with the bass slam and musicality of the Zyx. Needs to be a MC having just laid out a lot of sovs for upgrading the Croft headamp and work in the Jelco 750D. Not thought of a budget yet.

Suggestions please ??

Steve
    Last edited by worrasf; 01-07-2015 at 20:31.
    Always a little further

I'm Graeme.

If you have knocked off the cantilever, then maybe all is not lost, you can send the cartridge to Don at Northwest Analogue, and see what he can do. You might even get the 'best of both worlds' from the results! - Got to be worth a try, and cheaper than a new cartridge. http://www.northwestanalogue.com/cartridge-repairs.html

I'm Stephen.

Just dropped them a line - it really is trashed though !!
    Always a little further

I'm Andrew.

Another Denon 103R ?

Do you have a favourite cartridge brand?
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Stephen.

Quote Originally Posted by REXTON View Post
    Another Denon 103R ?

Do you have a favourite cartridge brand?
    That may well be an option and then get it fettled at NWA. I'm trying to get a unit that combines the best of the 103r and the Zyx R100 though - maybe it's not possible.
    No - no real "brand loyalty" so to speak
    Always a little further

I'm Gone.

A couple of weeks ago I heard a 103 that had been rebuilt with an aluminium body, a ruby cantilever and a line contact stylus. It sounded bloody good and NWA do offer a ruby cantilever rebuild.

I'm Stephen.

Default Resolved

So I've bought a Dl-103 with no cantilever with only 1 hour on the clock (seller admitted to imbibing of the grape while setting it up)

It's going off to Dom at NWA for a DHC cantilever and Fritz Geiger stylus.
    Going to be housed in a Uwe malachite body I've ordered from Francois at Cala mighty.

Promises to be pretty fine.

Piccies and reports to follow (about 3-4 weeks)

Steve
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Always a little further

I'm Andy.

Report needed!!!!
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Jim.

Ooooh... That's gorgeous!! Please more photos!
    SP-10Mk2a, Graham 2.2 tonearm. SL-1200, Graham 2.2 tonearm, AT-150mlx, Benz-Scheu Glider. Jim & Ken Super DC PSU, Oil well bearing, Acromat, Isonoes, strobe lamp switched. Pass Labs Pearl 2. Aleph J amplifier. F6 Amplifier. Nelson Pass Burning Amplifier BA-3. Pass BA-PP linestage, miniDSP 4x10, Linkwitz Labs LXmini speakers, Sony SS-M7 speakers.

DIY In progress - Syclotron Red Light district valve amp, ZenMod "Iron pre" autoformer jfet preamp, SYclotron 'His Master's Noise' valve phonostage. And about 2-3 other projects in various states at any time.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by worrasf View Post
    So I've bought a Dl-103 with no cantilever with only 1 hour on the clock (seller admitted to imbibing of the grape while setting it up)

It's going off to Dom at NWA for a DHC cantilever and Fritz Geiger stylus.
    Going to be housed in a Uwe malachite body I've ordered from Francois at Cala mighty.

Promises to be pretty fine.

Piccies and reports to follow (about 3-4 weeks)

Steve
    Look forward to reading that.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast