+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Dougs Big Messy Stereo

I'm Doug.

Quote Originally Posted by glenann View Post
    What do you think? Do you really believe what Alan says about amps sounding the same? Funny forum that one imo. I enjoy prodding them a little
    Well, nothing against Alan, who after all designs very good-sounding speakers, but...no, I can't go along with him at all if that's what he says. I believe the original statement was a little more qualified than that, though, wasn't it? I can't remember it, though. And although I didn't agree with it, it made more sense than the blanket "all amps sound the same."

EDIT: I missed the post by DSJR where he repeats what Shaw said. If the quote is accurate, it's "all 'good' amps sound the same when closely level matched". There is a lot of wiggle room in that statement. In the end, though, I don't care that much; I would still buy another pair of Harbeths because they're simply very good speakers. And for my listening room and levels, I find that the Luxman (which after all is 30WPC into 6ohms) is quite enough power. I just wish it didn't sound so different from my last amplifier...

I think I went off subject there.

But don't you wish that were true, that all amps sound the same? I certainly do. I'd still have a Denon receiver if it were.
    Last edited by dougmon; 14-11-2015 at 22:14.
    "...one door shuts and then another closes"

- Ian Dury

I'm Doug.

This is the end...

What I'm thinking of as my retirement stereo is now complete, in that the main components should last a good long time...

Luxman integrated, Harbeth speakers, Rega turntable, EAR phono stage...and now...

I pulled this from the mothballs, because I don't always want to rip a CD to my server before I listen to it:

It's the old faithful Rega Planet 2000. It replaced my original Rega Planet (yes, the CD player) when the laser assembly went haywire and the repairman couldn't fix it. I don't use this much, so I hope it will last quite a while.

I used to plug the analog outs from the CD player into the amplifier, until I got my early birthday/Chanukah/Christmas/Anniversary present, shown here:

Now all of my digital sources (okay, both of them) go into the DAC. My thanks to forum members AlfaGTV for suggesting that I might like an NOS DAC (I do) and Pieoftheday for pointing me towards an inexpensive NOS DAC so that I could determine whether I liked the NOS sound (and as stated before, I do; I do like it). After a lot of research, I decided on the Metrum Musette. It's a nice NOS DAC, and the only drawback I see so far is that the indicator lights are far too bright; so I'm using a simple product called LightDims to mask the light.

It's a happy day at Chez Doug.
    "...one door shuts and then another closes"

- Ian Dury

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456