+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dougs Big Messy Stereo

Box13 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dougmon View Post
    I changed my system, not by an addition, but by a subtraction!

I found the Rega DAC/Luxman combination to be too "in your face" for me. So now I have two digital sources: the Rega Planet 2000 and the Squeezebox Touch, both with their built-in DACs. I like the Planet; it's fairly laid back as far as sound goes. The SBT is just OK -- I can live with it until I find a DAC more suited to my tastes.

So...one less power cord to deal with.

Messing with the digital side of things makes me glad that I have a lot of LPs....
    Is the Planet like the Planar in terms of sound quality?

I'm Doug.

Quote Originally Posted by Box13 View Post
    Is the Planet like the Planar in terms of sound quality?
    The Planet 2000 is the CD player. I thought a Planar was a turntable; or at least I remember my first Rega turntable being called a Planar 3. So I'm slightly confused here. Are you asking if the CD player is like a turntable in terms of sound quality? Or did Rega once have a turntable called the Planet, and I'm just unaware of it?

I'm Grant.

not sure which way he was meaning but yes, Rega did make a TT in the early 70's called the planet.

Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Doug.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    not sure which way he was meaning but yes, Rega did make a TT in the early 70's called the planet.

Ah, ok...there seems to be this whole history of British Hi-Fi I know nothing about. For a while, I thought that many of you had quadrophonic systems. Or some unknown "name" brand. Go figure.

I'm Doug.

One small change in the system: I replaced the Rega DAC with a Muse HIFI DIR9001 + TDA1543x4 DAC. It's a NOS DAC that cost about 35 GBP or about 50 USD. I'm sure it's not the best implementation of NOS that's available, but I wanted to see if I liked the NOS sound. Turns out that I do, and I'll be looking for an NOS DAC sometime in the future.

I'd post a picture of it, but it's a tiny box, so it's lost somewhere in my cable mess You can see a picture of it on Ebay if you look.

The DAC does have drawbacks -- it's not always great sounding, but it's a lot better sounding than its price would indicate.
    "...one door shuts and then another closes"

- Ian Dury

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by dougmon View Post
    Ah, ok...there seems to be this whole history of British Hi-Fi I know nothing about. For a while, I thought that many of you had quadrophonic systems. Or some unknown "name" brand. Go figure.
    LOL - when I first went to LA I was surprised by the number of little hardware stores: every strip-mall had one. Until I found out that a 'Nail Bar' was something entirely different from what I thought it was.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Shaun.

Wow... would love to hear those loudspeakers on the end of Croft pre/power amplification.

I'm Doug.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post
    Wow... would love to hear those loudspeakers on the end of Croft pre/power amplification.
    As would I. There are a number of UK or European brands I would like to hear, but they're just not available here; Croft is one that looks very interesting.

- Ian Dury

I'm Steven.

I'm surprised the Luxman is powerful enough for the Harbeth. I lived with Harbeth and similar powered Class A valve amp for about 9 months, but on critical deep bass it just could not control the Radial 2 drivers. That said, for 95% of listening it was fine, just fell over at the low end.

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/usergroup/s...x-with-C7-ES-3
    Wilson, Luxman, Innuos, Holo May, Puritan, Garrard

I'm Doug.

Quote Originally Posted by SLS View Post
    I'm surprised the Luxman is powerful enough for the Harbeth. I lived with Harbeth and similar powered Class A valve amp for about 9 months, but on critical deep bass it just could not control the Radial 2 drivers. That said, for 95% of listening it was fine, just fell over at the low end.
    Was it the C7ES speakers you had, or something larger? I see you have SHL5 speakers in your signature.

I used tube amps for years, and there was almost _no_ low end -- so when I moved to the Luxman, it seemed to me as if there was excessive low end

I usually listen between 1-3 watts (or so I've been told by some serious stereo guys), so the Luxman has more than enough power for me. I think it's a great amp for people who like tubes, are tired of fussing with tubes, and are willing to compromise a little on the sound. Right now I'm running an NOS dac for digital and a tubed phono preamp for vinyl, so it all sounds pretty good to me.
    Last edited by dougmon; 19-09-2015 at 13:47. Reason: Missed something

- Ian Dury

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast