+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dougs Big Messy Stereo

I'm Doug.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post
    That's exactly my doctrine.

Build your system to suit your musical taste. Clinical detail and Sabbath just wouldn't go
    But I hear if you play "Blizzard of Ozz" backwards you can hear Ozzy say "Where's the bl**dy remote?"
    Last edited by dougmon; 30-06-2015 at 12:21.

I'm Timothy.

Damn Doug, that is freaking mess you got there! If only my mess could be so "messy". Hah! Nice system there sir!

I'm Doug.

Thanks again to all for the greetings and approbation.

I just restored a Rega Planet 2000 to the system. It's going directly into the amp, just using its own DAC. I wanted something to play CDs immediately rather than having to rip them to my music server, etc. Looking at my system, you might think I'm a huge Rega fan, but it just turned out this way.

I _am_ thinking of replacing the DAC; I heard a Line Magnetic tube DAC and really liked it. But that's for next year, if ever.

Best to everyone,

Doug

I'm gone.

Nice looking system - love the VU meters on the Luxman! - there's nowhere near enough cable-spaghetti, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Idlewithnodrive View Post
    Build your system to suit your musical taste.
    That's what we all do, actually - only most folk don't admit it or even realise it!

I'm Doug.

I have to admit, one of the things I like about the Luxman is that it's very old-school -- not only in looks, but in functionality. I particularly like the tone controls. These seem to be anathema to many hi-fi enthusiasts, but when listening to some older recordings where the treble just about takes the top of your head off, they're very useful. I also like the mono capability; if you have older stuff remixed in fake stereo, it's kind of nice to turn it back into mono.

I'm Paul.

Very nice indeed. The Luxman is truly a thing of beauty.

I'm Jason.

i love your set up,esp your speakers.

I'm Anthony.

Nice system ,the amp is way above average in looks and sound
    Our education is wrong, it takes no note of the subtleties of human nature, it places more importance on the memory of an individual than how memorable an individual is. Bernard Sumner 1995

I'm Doug.

Funny, I used to swear that I would never have a solid state amp, but the dealer I bought the Harbeths from convinced me to try the Luxman. And I'm glad I did. As others have noted, the Luxman/Harbeth combination is really sweet. And I really think the Compact 7ES3s are special, even in the company of other Harbeth speakers.

I think Luxman might be understating the output power of the 550AX -- I accidentally rolled the volume up to around 9:30 before I started the music, and the volume almost pushed me back in my seat.

I'm Doug.

Default System change

I changed my system, not by an addition, but by a subtraction!

I found the Rega DAC/Luxman combination to be too "in your face" for me. So now I have two digital sources: the Rega Planet 2000 and the Squeezebox Touch, both with their built-in DACs. I like the Planet; it's fairly laid back as far as sound goes. The SBT is just OK -- I can live with it until I find a DAC more suited to my tastes.

So...one less power cord to deal with.

Messing with the digital side of things makes me glad that I have a lot of LPs....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast