+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve Pre-Amp - Any recommendations?

I'm Alan.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    He has already described the design principles to me and I'm sold on it.
    Care to share the beans?

I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

montesquieu Guest

Can't cut and paste as it was a phone conversation largely over my head but essentially the voltage (or was it current?) is controlled by FETs leaving the 6SN7s operating always in their sweet spot so it's technically a hybrid. Vanishingly low noise and measurable distortion, and multiple power supplies for all the various stages (four I think though may be more) to keep noise and distortion down. Made to drive anything (very high - or was it very low?! - output impedance). Very much in the Radford tradition and designed exactly for the amount of gain the STA100 needs. Actually I think the gain was variable by jumper thanks to the FET stage.

Re-reading that just shows my ignorance but Will is a veritable genius and I trust what he tells me.

I'm Gone.

I have used many Pre/Power combinations over the years and I think my current set up of Art Audio VPL pre and triode mode AA Quintet is the best I've owned. I have also used the VPL to drive everything frob Quad 11s to Yamaha power amps and i has always performed. Well worth a listen.

I'm TheMostHonestPersonYouWillMeet.

I used a Conrad Johnson PV10 pre for a while and thought is was excellent... maybe something further up the Conrad line might suit... just a thought
    Bev

Mark Levinson N°390s CD Through:Atlas Elektra XLR's To: Mark Levinson N°383 To: Magneplanar .7's

I'm James.

Try and listen to a Puresound L300 if you can cope with the rather large dimensions. There are a couple for sale on different forums for around £2,500 which is a bargain considering the performance on offer. Also worth considering Shindo preamps if you can find any for sale

I'm Geoff.

You say you want a valve pre-amp. There are superb alternatives. Have you considered Music First products? They have advantages, no valves for a start, so no tube rolling and biasing to be involved with. No power lead to get in the way or power supply hum fields near sensitive low level signals and there's the sound quality of course. TVC pre-amps just have something you just don't get elsewhere. Check the reviews. MF products have been described on more than one occasion as 'the best preamplifier in the world'.

Here's just one review:

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/m...t/passive.html
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

I've got a tvc and have to say its a revelation
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Enjoyed my MFA MkII but whether it works well or not is incredibly source-dependent ... mine worked incredibly well with my AN tube dac and with the Longdog MM tube phono stage, but sounded flat with the Aurorasound Vida. It's not a panacea, worth borrowing one before buying one.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    Yup. I can't get over how good my unit is! Last active pre's were Pass & VTL products. Very good, but this TVC is in a different league.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Enjoyed my MFA MkII but whether it works well or not is incredibly source-dependent ... mine worked incredibly well with my AN tube dac and with the Longdog MM tube phono stage, but sounded flat with the Aurorasound Vida. It's not a panacea, worth borrowing one before buying one.
    Makes sense. With any equipment really.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast