+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New addition to the Baz Cave

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Default New addition to the Baz Cave

New addition to the Baz Cave

My Sony CDP XB930 player has just been retired and replaced by a Studer Revox CD221 professional CD player. The Sony player has given sterling service and I’m more than happy with the SQ.

So why change? Well my mission is to have a system that is fully balanced, source to speakers. The amplification is fully balanced, and shortly so too will the record playing side of things. I’m also attracted to professional quality gear: for the reliability, robustness of construction as well as sound quality. The Studer Revox C221 is such a beast. Mine was made in Switzerland and is an ex-broadcast unit from Poland.

Being a professional design it has a number of features which are eminently desirable when used in a broadcast studio, but are somewhat quirky for use in a domestic system. The first is that the on-off switch is at the rear of the unit, so when the unit is rack mounted the switch is inaccessible. This makes sense when used for broadcasting, but could be inconvenient domestically. Now some are of the belief that source components ought to the left powered up constantly – my preamps and phono equalisation amplifiers are, however if the CD221 is kept switched on, the laser is also on. This could shorten the life of the laser, so to ‘switch off’ the player after the disc has finished one has to leave the disc in the drawer, select track ‘0’ and then press ‘Pause’. This stops the motor and switches the laser off. If the machine is switched off at the mains, it can reportedly take up to 45 minutes for the electronics to warm up!

The second feature that is not needed is the sophisticated cuing and time functions. When a disc is loaded, the player displays information such as the number of tracks, total playing time etc, just as do domestic machines. However if 'Play' is pressed, the timer counts down and when the first track has finished, the player stops and displays the next track. To play the second track the ‘Play’ button has to be pressed again, and so on. Again all this makes sense if the machine is used in a broadcast environment: the DJ needs to know how much time is left when playing a particular track and doesn’t necessarily want to play any subsequent tracks. To get around all this one simply switches off the timer, fade, cue and pause functions; the timer then counts upwards and the player will play all the tracks in turn.

For those who like this sort of thing, here’s a photo of the ‘inners’:

I wasn’t expecting much of an improvement in sound quality, if any. But my goodness - this machine rocks! The sound stage is massive: wide and deep, much more so than with Sony and the focus is amazing. I played Dave Brubeck’s ‘Time Out’ and I really felt as though I had been transported to the recording session. The sense of solidity of the players and of the space around them was palpable. Next up was Stevie Ray Vaughan’s ‘Couldn’t Stand the Weather’, and the track ‘Tin Pan Alley’ was astonishing: I was noticing detail that I hadn’t heard before. To say I’m delighted is an understatement.

Now that summer seems to be with us I’m employing my ‘summer amps’: Quad 510 monoblocks, which are replacing the Levinson ML-2s. No loss of quality has been noticed so far, which again demonstrates that professional audio equipment is not only about reliability and brute force, some of it can display great subtlety and finesse.

(Apologies for the dust!)

Anyway enough of typing, I’m off to listen to some more tunes: classical, jazz, folk, world – it could be a late night!
    Last edited by Barry; 24-06-2015 at 22:46. Reason: spelling
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Looks a nice bit of kit Barry. Not a model I know anything about.

Like the ML gear. That always sounds good.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Brilliant stuff, Barry - that Revox is one sexy bit of kit!

Some folk just don't 'get' what professional equipment is all about, and why, in many instances, the best stuff can sonically outperform most 'domestic' hi-fi equipment. I also applaud your decision to go all-balanced, as when done right, the sonic advantages can be substantial.

Anyway, I hope that the Revox provides many years of musical enjoyment

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Anthony.

That's a damned fine looking machine ,may I be so bold as to ask what that Red Book slaying beast set you back?
    Our education is wrong, it takes no note of the subtleties of human nature, it places more importance on the memory of an individual than how memorable an individual is. Bernard Sumner 1995

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony K View Post

That's a damned fine looking machine, may I be so bold as to ask what that Red Book slaying beast set you back?
    Hi Anthony,

The C221 cost me £400 plus carriage of £50. The machine is in perfect condition, both cosmetically and sound wise, so I'm very happy with the outlay.

It's a bitstream player; which is not liked by some, but sounds fine to my ears. The transport is a Philips CDM4-Pro and the DAC uses an SAA 7321 device (though I have heard that other, similar, SAA devices were also used).
    Last edited by Barry; 24-06-2015 at 23:23. Reason: Addition
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Brilliant stuff, Barry - that Revox is one sexy bit of kit!

Some folk just don't 'get' what professional equipment is all about, and why, in many instances, the best stuff can sonically outperform most 'domestic' hi-fi equipment. I also applaud your decision to go all-balanced, as when done right, the sonic advantages can be substantial.

Anyway, I hope that the Revox provides many years of musical enjoyment

Marco
    Thanks Marco.

There's something to be said for using professional gear vis á vis 'domestic' gear. However some gear that was intended for the domestic market have been embraced by recording studios, record archives and broadcasters: Thorens TD124s and Garrard 301/401 turntables are such an example, as are SME arms and Shure, Stanton and Ortofon cartridges. Ferrograph and Revox tape machines were used by the BBC for many years.
    Of course the reverse is also true, witness EMT turntables and cartridges; Studer, Uher and Nagra reel-to-reel tape machines; Crown/Amcron amplifiers, as well as the classic Denon 103 cartridge. And no-one needs reminding of the BBC designed LS 3/5a speaker! Recently there was a thread reporting the admirable properties of a Technics(?) professional CD player.

As you know I'm a bit of a Quad admirer; their products, such as the 33, 303, 405 (and modifications thereof), the 50D and 50E monoblocks, as well as the 521 and 522 are/were used in large numbers by the BBC. Not only are they built like brick out-houses, their sound quality is very good indeed. No 'brute force and ignorance' here.
    Barry

I'm Neil.

Hi Barry, very nice but keep in mind that European XLRs are wired differently to USA ones so the signal from the Revox will be out of phase. All that's required is to swap hot and cold round at the preamp end to restore correct phase.

I used to run Pathos amplification and the phase was off because the Marantz CDplayer was USA wired and I could hear the phase being wrong so I got cables adapted and it sounded much better.

Worth thinking about.

Regards Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Hi Barry, very nice but keep in mind that European XLRs are wired differently to USA ones so the signal from the Revox will be out of phase. All that's required is to swap hot and cold round at the preamp end to restore correct phase.

I used to run Pathos amplification and the phase was off because the Marantz CDplayer was USA wired and I could hear the phase being wrong so I got cables adapted and it sounded much better.

Worth thinking about.

Regards Neil
    Hi Neil,

Thanks for that - I was aware of the lack of a universal convention concerning XLRs (both in gender and polarity), but it had slipped my mind. My amplification is Levinson, an American company, whereas Revox and Quad are European, so I'll check and if necessary correct; however last time I played about with absolute phase/polarity, I couldn't hear any difference.
    Barry

I'm Martin.

Great find that, Barry. Not surprised it out-performs the Sony 930 (I have one of those) I'll wager it is a whole order of magnitude better. The two things I really liked about my brodcast player were the sheer weight it put behind the instruments - it was actually quite scary at times - and the inky blacks. nothing to do with bitstream/multibit or the transport and everything to do with the serious power supplies IMO.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Andrei.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Regards Neil
    I have been toying with the idea of running a balanced cable between my pre and power - both English. Presumably it would not matter matter of the XLR cable was made in US, so long as the two components are wired the same?
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast