+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Want that vintage gramophone sound?

I'm Josie.

Default Want that vintage gramophone sound?

Well... if so this is for you.

http://www.gramovox.com/products/gra...oth-gramophone

Looks cool, but probably sounds like shit.... but who cares, it looks cool.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Grant.

agree it is a designer house furnishing. the fact that it works as well is a bonus. may well sound very good too. like my gramophones
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

It'll be all about looks and probably sound like mangled telephone.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Josie.

lol...

I know, Grant... the original gramophone's do sound superb. i would love to get one, love the olde 20's 30's music.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    lol...

I know, Grant... the original gramophone's do sound superb. i would love to get one, love the olde 20's 30's music.
    I have 2... a damn near mint HMV portable which cost me a pretty penny in the day. I actually use my scabby one mostly for some reason but it is nice to have out on display...must do that again, or sell it one or t'other... nothing more hands on than winging it up and putting a nail on top of a bit of shellac and hearing music....it must have amazed folk back then.

Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Josie.

WOW!

Very nice, I'd love something like that.

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Grant.

The one on the left you'll get for 40/50 quid. the hmv would be over £200 in that condition and that model...maybe a bit more. tbh its like new.......I might put it on the classifieds and confuse the hell out of Marco
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    The one on the left you'll get for 40/50 quid. the hmv would be over £200 in that condition and that model...maybe a bit more. tbh its like new.......I might put it on the classifieds and confuse the hell out of Marco
    Actually I doubt if they even knew back than just how good a sound their recording techniques could produce, I'm using a Miiyajima Premium 78 cartridge, into Hashimoto HM7s/Aurorasound Vida LCR phono stage/Radford pre-power and big Tannoys, with an Esoteric Re-equalizer in the middle (compensates for every conceivable oddball pre-RIAA equalisation) and the overall sound - if you ignore the frying bacon, which largely you can - is simply stunning. Expression, room ambience, harmonics ... all there. From late 20/early 30s 78s.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by montesquieu View Post
    Actually I doubt if they even knew back than just how good a sound their recording techniques could produce, I'm using a Miiyajima Premium 78 cartridge, into Hashimoto HM7s/Aurorasound Vida LCR phono stage/Radford pre-power and big Tannoys, with an Esoteric Re-equalizer in the middle (compensates for every conceivable oddball pre-RIAA equalisation) and the overall sound - if you ignore the frying bacon, which largely you can - is simply stunning. Expression, room ambience, harmonics ... all there. From late 20/early 30s 78s.
    Funny but you get different grade of nails needles for differing records and styles. Used to have boxes of them. used to have a sharpner but cant find it now

I can understand what you are saying though. I did play them from a dedicated 78 player with a nice cart that I got from the US. it sounded remarkably good. Sold it a few years ago to help a friend raise cash for a holiday for his daughter.
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Clark.

I have one of these. I bought it to listen to some very early recordings (pre 1914) that I found. Given the technology it is quite amazing

+ Reply to Thread