+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best fm tuner ?

I'm Peter.

Totally agree with Johan ... Nad tuners are pretty good IME, particularly for £6

I'm Michael.

Default Tuner

thankyou for the replies yes I agree depends on the transmission and cannot afford a naim !

I'm Alan.

I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm nigel.

If you have SKY you could try hooking the box into your sound system either direct or as I do through a cheap dac.

no..i mean no background noise and not bad selection of stations.

my vintage pioneer tuner is sadly never used now.....apart from a "late night light show"!!

NIGE.

I'm Neil.

Was a time I would have just bought something like this on seeing it but I don't have the room. This is the big brother replacement for the 7020 which I have.

Tuner info net say this

'Kenwood KT-6040 search eBay
    We think the very rare KT-6040 was sold only in Europe and Asia. Finding one on eBay-U.S. will be tough, because we've only seen a couple for sale in many years (one sold for $265 in 6/09). Our contributor Jeroen reports: "The KT-6040 was the successor of the KT-7020, which was the higher model of the KT-5020. The 6040 is an excellent tuner and, as mentioned by someone else, a sleeper. It is, IMHO, superior to both the 5020 and the 7020, with the 7020 being superior to the 5020. I've checked the schematics of the KT-5020 and the KT-6040, and I see many differences. The 6040 has 5 gangs (I think), 8 ceramic filters and 3 IC filters, and the distortion cancelling circuit is much more complicated. Also the MPX chip is better in the 6040 (LA3450) then in the 5020 (LA3401). The 5020 has a combined AM/FM IF IC (LA1266), while the 6040 uses seperate IC's (LA1235 and LA1245). The KT-6040 is a new design, stepping away from both the KT-5020 and the KT-7020/KT-990D."

Our contributor János says that the KT-6040 "was my first serious tuner. Afterwards I bought a KT-9900, Onkyo T-4650 and T-4711, Revox A76, Creek T40, Hitachi FT-5500 MKII, Sony ST-J60, Denon TU-580RD, and Yamaha TX-900. None of the above is too bad, but if I would be forced to have only one tuner, I would choose the KT-6040, based on RF performance (none of the above is better), convenience and sound. A remote would be missed - others have better ergonomics." Our contributor Rudy adds, "I also recently owned the KT-6040 and it's a definite sleeper. In stock form, it's already excellent for both sonic and DX performance. This should be a top-rated digital tuner, on par with the Yamaha T-85." And our contributor Sinan says, "I never heard a tuner with a better S/N ratio! Also extremely low distortion with an amazingly quiet background, but the Sony ST-S555ES has the edge in detail and stage width/depth."

One for sale here, its more than you want to spend but its a shit hot tuner at a good price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kenwood-Kt...item4aebd26c87

Regards Neil

I'm Neil.

Nice tuner here Pioneer 9800 but its a collectible so will end up being well over £100 but you never know

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pioneer-TX...item4d34077b5c

Not been tuner hunting in awhile and there isn't much on EBay at the minute that's any good, lot of average and below average stuff.

I'm Michael.

Default Tuner

yes that Pioneer 9800 looks lovely

I'm Sam.

There was a Hitachi tuner in the 80s or late 80s which became a kind of giant killer by accident, 5550 or something. Looks very plane but got great reviews.

Anyone remember what I'm talking about?

OK, just googled it : Hitatchi FT-5500 . There are Mk1 and Mk2 versions and not sure which is best. Seem to go for about £15 - £40

I'm Martin.

The Technics ST-S31 is excellent and when found can be had very cheaply.

It has a narrow IF band facility, which effectively gets rid of "birdies" (the interference created by so many stations close together).

In my location we have so many main and local stations, even with a 6 element aerial I get problems. So the narrow IF works wonders.

I'm Paul.

For £30 or so used, the multi-award winning Denon TU260L K2 is a cracking good tuner with RDS/EON etc.

Also, for sound quality, providing you have a decent aerial, the higher end Rotel RT series are excellent and cheaper to buy than the usual suspects.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast