+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anthem MCA 20

I'm Shaun.

Default Anthem MCA 20

Has anyone got any feedback on this power amp...? I've looked on the web and there is very little. Any information would be very welcome.

I'm Timothy.

Shaun, I owned one for several years in a system that did double duty, my video setup and also 2-channel music. My preamp at the time was an Anthem TLP-1 and later an AVM-30 prepro, and speakers were modified Magnepan MMG's with a pair of REL T-3 subs.

The MCA drove the Maggie's very well, and I think it is a very good, basic amplifier. While it may not have the ultimate current driving capability of other amps, I felt it was a good sounding unit, well made and simple. Never an issue with it I. The 4-5 years I had it. One of my friends still owns it and has been going strong in his heavily used music system for another few years.

I have to say I liked most of the Anthem gear that I have owned, which also included a PVA-2 amp as well. Most was constructed in Canada, which I am not sure if that is the case now, but good build quality and sound to boot. For what it is worth...Tim

I'm Shaun.

Serious thanks for taking the time to comment. I think I shall stick with my original plan and stick with British monoblocks as they appear to be ultimately more enthralling. I just thought a Canadian muscle amp just might be better for dance/techno music.

I'm Timothy.

While I do not specifically know your Rotel amps, I certainly would think long and hard just to go with the Canadian amp. While the Anthem is quite good and robust for the most part, I think overall the drive capability of your Rotel would be a bit better possibly. Most Rotels are noted for fairly high current capability, and this is where the Anthem is just good/average. Of course how much this matters depends a lot on the rest of your setup and room size, how loud you play etc. I always say if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it! Tim

+ Reply to Thread