+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Listening Fatigue - a Saga, and a Solution!

I'm Stuart.

Default Listening Fatigue - a Saga, and a Solution!

Hi Everyone!

Its been a while since i posted, back then i was actively searching for a system that would eliminate my listening fatigue. I searched for a some years.

It is time to share my story

The original offending system was an NAD C340 and B&W CM2 Speakers:

I took lots of advice, tried new amps, speakers, DtoA devices,cables, power filters..... Including equipment where everyone said they did not experience listening fatigue... like Usher speakers and the classic Exposure amps.

Moved speakers, put in carpet, even moved house 2x... but no solutions.

Along the way i read on this forum that i should try a tube amp, and that Spendors were well known for no-fatigue listening

So i went looking. I finally heard a combination in a London shop that was frankly amazing and without fatigue, even at high volume:
    An Unison Research Little Italy tube amp paired with Spendor D7 speakers.

These were a great pair, partly because the D7s are so efficient

Well they were great, but a bit pricy, so I looked for 'aftermarket' opportunities, eventually i purchased the Little Italy tube amp (for 900 GBP) and paired it with Spendor S5e speakers (USD 800)

Here are the results:

The Spendor s5e + the Little Italy tube amp COMPLETELY eliminates the listening fatigue I experienced. Although the Little Italy amp is only about 10 watts - its strong enough to fill a large room and some outdoor area well at normal listening levels - it will not rock your world however, since the speakers are not so efficient (the D7s are about 10db more efficient - and then that was plenty loud to really rock) The D7s were definitely better, but they do cost 10x as much!!

The combination is really a relief - I'm deeply happy, and enjoy music again! Its a happy ending!!

Hope someone can benefit from my story.

And thank each of you for helping out on this quest!

(dramatic pause.... distant voice of the gods laughing)

......But is it really an ending... what about sources....?
    As source the Meridian 506 CD is great - but I also have a lot of ALAC files on Mac - in this case stand along DtoA devices usually add fatigue, so i am still using the DtoA converter inside of the Apple devices (iPod or AirportExpress) - which are not great, but don't add fatigue...
    Last edited by Stubies; 22-06-2015 at 03:25.
    New System (so far): Meridian 506 CD/ALAC -> Unison Research Little Italy -> Spendor S5e
    Secondary system: Airport Express -> BeoLab 3 Speakers (still need replacing - too fatiguing)
    TV Room: Marantz NR 1504-> Usher S520/525 speakers
    Original System: NAD C541 CD Player -> NAD C340 Amp -> lamp cord -> B&W CM2 Speakers, Ipod/Itunes ALAC- secondary source

I'm John.

Thanks for sharing with us. Spendor S5E's are fine sounding loudspeakers and are a true bargain, even when bought new. One tip for anyone who may be buying/thinking of buying and finds them a bit bass heavy is to block the rear ports with acoustic foam or foam used for packaging.

I'm Paul.

Slippery slope Stuart. What you've done is to reach the top of it! Wait until you get the chance to partner that amp with some Spendor SP100R2 speakers...

Congratulations on your finds.

I'm Clive.

I'm a little biased here but start saving for the D7's. Mine arrived chez Clive last week and I'm stunned by what I'm hearing. Yes expensive and rarely come up secondhand (yes I looked) but I promise you they are speakers to aspire to.
    Admittedly I've plumbed 225 watts per channel into them but I heard them connected to a little £1600 valve amplifier when I went to collect mine from the dealer and was gob smacked by the quality and punch I heard.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

+ Reply to Thread