+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Saber's set up

I'm john.

Default Saber's set up

Arggh just posted massive post and the forum logged me out and ate it.

Try again, Tannoy m3s, Denon dc 100 cd player, just swapped the Sony 212l out for this ugly Akai am a201. It has a richer bass than the Sony with much the same mids and treble.

Ethernet twisted pair speaker cables, Qed qunex 2 Interconect.

Laptop is running Foobar2000 via a Toshiba dynadock. Not an audio product as such but the audio from it is much better than the headphone out on the laptop. I will get a dedicated Usb dac at some point.

Audio for the TV goes through a cheep Ebay dac to the amp via digital out, the Denon is also linked through it via optical just for side by side comparion.

The previous Sony amp is now on PC duty running Mission m70s, another candidate for a dedicated Usb Dac, but its rare it use it for music so its not a priority.

Very simple set up, all charity shop or ebay. Very happy with it for what it is and what it cost. Very much enjoying the Forums, thanks guys. Saber.

I'm Geoff.

Looks like you've got it all sorted John.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

nice set up and you remembered the tootsies
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    Arggh just posted massive post and the forum logged me out and ate it.
    Don't you hate it when that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Saber View Post
    ...just swapped the Sony 212l out for this ugly Akai am a201. It has a richer bass than the Sony with much the same mids and treble.
    - I love the use of vintage Sony and Akai kit surrounded by all the modern digi-computer geekery.

But may I correct you? - I think the Akai looks great.

Nice system.

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by jandl100 View Post

- I love the use of vintage Sony and Akai kit surrounded by all the modern digi-computer geekery.

But may I correct you? - I think the Akai looks great.

Nice system.
    I'll second that. Looks great.

I'm john.

Thanks guys, I like the vintage / modern mix too. I got a pair of Fisher sme m27 free with the Sony amp I could replace the Missions with if i wanted to go full 80s audio

Actually the Akai's looks have grown on me so much.... and I needed a tuner....... so I bought this on this on ebay,totally on the 80s look.

Couldnt resist, its only a sanyo but I got it for the 99p opening bid. Here thursdsay hopefully and I can give it a test
    Last edited by Saber; 22-06-2015 at 18:48. Reason: wrong Picture link

I'm Alan.

Fantastic....99p
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm john.

So the sanyo arived yesterday, just quickly hooked it up,

Doesnt sound bad at all, quite Warm sounding which quite like. Speach on radio 4 was nice and clear no sibilance or anythign I could hear that would make extended listeing hard on the ear.

Instruments in full orchestra were quite detailed from radio 3.

Radio 1 and 2 both sounding pretty punchy with pop and rock.

But, the problem I have now is the antena. Im using a diy di pole hung up on the curtain rail, with the previous receiver amps the sound quality didnt seem as good as the sanyo, but the signal level across all channels was more even and the antena was left in one position, im having to reposition the antena to get good signal from the different stations, and none of them are giving me full signal strenth, the antena is just coax running into speaker cable in a di pole T. no balum.

If anyone has a better diy design or ideas i can try that would be great thanks.

I'm Geoff.

Vintage Sanyo gear was as well made as the other Japanese brands. The company had a fairly low profile in the UK through the seventies and eighties and mostly aimed at the budget end of Hi-Fi. But there's nothing wrong with it at all.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm john.

Default All change!

Hello, had another charity shop find, a pair of kef coda 8s for ......£4.95? How could I refuse, I was going to use them instead of the missions for my computer but I prefer them to the Tannoys, so swapped everything around, had to make some stands from some cd wall storage mount I found in another charity shop, they will do untill I see a pair I like.

[IMG][/IMG]

Now have the tannoys as computer speakers, slight overkill but can you blame me

[IMG][/IMG]

Swapped back to my original sony amp, the akai sounds better but I need a few more inputs, so its now running the Computer system, I think im going to have to have a clear out on ebay and look for a better amp for the main system.

Cheers guys. Saber.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast