+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Musical Fidelity V-DAC Vs. Beresford TC-7510 Mk6/latest

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Post Musical Fidelity V-DAC Vs. Beresford TC-7510 Mk6/latest

Hi,

I'm new here, but just wanted to post the results of a very interesting side-by-side I engaged in at a branch of HiFi Corner, primarily to save someone else the time and effort of comparing the two themselves. The context was that I had been in expressing an interest in a budget (sub-£200) DAC for my Mac-sourced system, and this was all they could offer. Another nearby second-hand hifi store was offering a Flying Cow---highly rated, I believe, but lacking the variable output, boasting a superfluous ADC section and not offering RCA sockets---and a Meridian 203, which I read hasn't aged as well as other DACs, sounding a little "woolly" ( I think that was the term).

The staff in HiFi Corner were doubtful that my current top-of-the-list item, the 7510, was capable of standing up to the V-DAC, given:
    1) its apparent lack of distinguished heritage
    2) the greater number of features offered compared to the V-DAC (single-input, no variable output) for £10 less (including P&P)
    Actually, fair arguments. So they offered to let me come in and do the side-by-side once I'd purchased the 7510 so I could confirm (or otherwise) that it was worth the money.
    The results were, I'm sure to many here, not a surprise—--but for the staff of HiFi Corner, it certainly was; and for me, a pleasant justification.

The reference system was a pair of floor-standing Harbeth speakers and a Sugden pre/power combo---sorry, didn't note the exact models, but I can find out if people are interested. The source was my MBP through the Ixos cable. The Beresford had been run-in for a good 50 hours, the V-DAC considerably less.

Started off with Miles Davis' "Solea" from Sketches Of Spain. The difference was immediately apparent. The staff member sitting with me thought the Beresford made it clear we were listening to Miles Davis, where the V-DAC did not. Personally, what caught my attention was the breadth of detail in the trumpet—I could hear Miles taking his breath and beginning to blow, where the V-DAC missed this completely. It was so much more obvious that this was an instrument being played by a human being, as opposed to sounds simply being fed or generated through a hi-fi. Positioning and sound-staging were also better, and the Beresford lacked a harshness, especially with one particularly prolonged note. Altogether more hi-fi, in the literal sense. The HiFi Corner chap pointed out that the Beresford was far better at making clear that the drummer was using brushes on the hi-hats.

Next was a piece from The Shawshank Redemption soundtrack, "Shawshank Prison (Stoic Theme)", with its deep, resounding cello and smooth strings. The Beresford held that deep cello bass in check, and there was far more sense of space around it. As with Miles Davis' trumpet, there was a far greater sense of "an instrument being played"---you could hear the notes beginning as the bow ran across the strings. It also inspired thoughts of the film far more than did the V-DAC.

I enjoyed myself the most with the next two tracks, both from the 28 Days Later soundtrack: "Taxi (Ave Maria)" sung by Perri Alleyne; and "Season Song" by Blue States. (I learned from the HiFi Corner member of staff who was sitting with me that pipe organs (as accompanying Perri Alleyne) are a good test of a hi-fi's ability, as are female vocals.) The Beresford frankly kicked booty here, with both tracks.
    Perri Alleyne sounded excellent, and I particularly noted being able to hear her close and part her lips as she sang and took breaths—something entirely missing with the V-DAC. The organ was also far better, with the puffy, air-fed nature reproduced far more clearly. I even imagined I could hear the organist pressing the keys, or at least appreciate the analogue nature of the presses themselves—--notes didn't just start, they were preceded by the distinct sound of the person playing them, with the increase in pressure.
    "Season Song" was just generally funkier, with the triangle distinct and well-placed, and the children's chorus clearer, the words more distinct and easier to understand (though, in fairness, I think only marginally). We both found our feet tapping easily to the Beresford, not at all to the V-DAC.

Overall, positioning, detail and timing were far better with the Beresford. We both agreed that it held the music together better. The HiFi Corner guy also kept referring to the Beresford's output as having greater "texture". Not a term I'm familiar with in this context, but I can have a stab. In short, he was sold on it. I went home feeling content with my new purchase.

…And they all lived happily ever after. The end (?)

Hope this is interesting or useful for someone. *grin*
    Simon.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Simon,

Fantastic stuff, and what a great write-up! As it's a review, I've moved it to our 'Strokes of Genius' section where such things go

Thanks again for taking the time to write it, and in such an informative and eloquent way. I'm sure that many people will find it interesting.

Nice one

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Och! My first contribution and I muffed it *looks sheepish* Guess I should try using my eyes as well as my ears, eh? *grin*

Thanks, Marco, for the compliment and the correction!
    Simon.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Nice review Simon (how much did Stan pay you for it?) JOKE -

Feels good to know you've got a giant killer, and also that a normal, decent bloke (that's Stan!) is benefitting from these purchases, and not some faceless corporation, or worse, some faceless pension fund! The fact that Stan is readily available on here, and part of the AoS community is a bonus, and knowing he develops his products with "grass roots" input truely refreshing.

Glad to see that the HiFi Corner guys were open-minded too.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm Confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Feels good to know ...... that a normal, decent bloke (that's Stan!) is benefitting from these purchases, and not ....... some faceless pension fund!
    Nah then thee!!, 'as tha forgott'n that some of us lesser and older mortals depend on these pension funds benefitting from sales to keep bread on t' table? Wash thi mucky marth art?
    Trust ya soft southerner can understand a bit o' northern vernacular, eh?
    Cheers, (you ugly bull !! ).
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Nice review Simon (how much did Stan pay you for it?) JOKE -
    I did wonder if I was laying it on a bit thick, frankly *grins* In all the reviews where I encountered talk of Stan's 7510 I did say to myself, "If it sounds too good to be true…". But this does appear to be a device that's worth the hype.
    Glad to see that the HiFi Corner guys were open-minded too.
    I wouldn't say open-minded exactly, not initially. Great deal of skepticism, mainly because I think I gave them the impression that Stan had a wee shed in London and was chucking out the odd DAC now and then. But their advice was sound: if you only hear one external DAC, you're bound to be impressed, so come and do the side-by-side and make sure what you've got is worth the price. Nice lads in there actually. HiFi Corner on Haddington Place in Edinburgh, if anyone's interested.
    Simon.

I'm Neil.

Hi Simon

nice write up.

I am surprised the old corner were quite so accommodating, but I hate having a staff member sitting on my lap during a demo (while in the trade I never did that unless the customer asked for my feed back during the demo).

Graham does his best but a lot depends on what he has in at the time you call. I was in chatting with him Friday week ago (saw the Dacs you mention in your write up)

I would expect the Beresford to destroy an X Dac, V Dac and probably other older MF dacs but IMHO/E not the Tri-Vista 21 Dac which beats it in a few key areas, for me any way.

Pity there are no pictures but shops get nervous if you want to take photos, but it is encouraging that the Corner guys could hear the superiority of the B Dac, and admit it too. So few hi-fi shop staff will admit such things.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I used to sit in on dems, keeping things moving hopefully in the right direction and trying my best to be honest with the clients, but leaving them in peace when asked (usually so I could make us all a coffee or tea ). Worked for me anyway.. One of our chaps just sat impassively allowing the client to "be in charge" and he rarely got sales (his talents lay elsewhere in our team in all fairness).

Many thanks for the review (and to HiFi Corner for their honesty). Remember that Stan is selling to "us" at what would be trade prices (allowing him to make a living out of the fair price asked) and if sold retail you could almost double the price. Therefore a 7510 would be around £300 or so (or more) and the Caiman would be double this, as it is apparently better again (get where I'm coming from?)

Whatever you guys think of Mr Dunn, his predictions are coming right here and there, where some fantastic items are becoming available at fair prices online and promoted via sites like this one............
    Last edited by DSJR; 13-09-2009 at 10:43.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm seldomaroundnow.

I've demoed equipment in two stores in my lifetime, Russ Andrews and HiFi Corner. On both occasions I had a staff member with me (in the former it was a nice guy called Drew) and appreciated it because they helped keep me straight. For example, in the HiFi Corner demo, the guy helped me realise I was favouring the Beresford slightly, marking down the V-DAC a little unfairly. When he would replay a track through the V-DAC I'd realize that what I though hadn't been present on the first listen actually was, I'd just missed it (though perhaps that speaks to the presentation as well as my bias).
    When I went to demo what I keep recalling as B&W 600's (but may have been another model) Drew introduced a pair of similarly-priced Revolver speakers for the purposes of comparison. I remember playing what may have been a Ry Cooder track (Chicken Skin Music album, probably), and he I think was hoping I'd see their value over the B&Ws. He particularly highlighted the reproduction of a plucked guitar, and I now regret not taking his advice, as in retrospect I believe the Revolvers were the better 'speaker. I recall a quote from What Hi-Fi? where a reviewer wrote, in reference to playing acoustic guitar at louder volumes on a reference system, "these must be unbreakable strings he's using!" This same statement applied to the Revolvers presentation. Unfortunately I was still inexperienced in HiFi at the time, and chose the B&Ws. I still got a great deal of enjoyment out of them, but I think I would have been better off with the Revolvers in the end.

By the way, who's Mr. Dunn (if I may ask)?
    Simon.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by sburrell View Post

By the way, who's Mr. Dunn (if I may ask)?

Richard Dunn of Nene Valley Audio (NVA). A designer of audio who, despite his great talents in that area finds it hard to follow rules and etiquette on forums. As he has no right of reply on AOS ( taking a permanent holiday?) perhaps it would be best if he was not discussed any further, just in case things should turn nasty for any reason.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast