+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: New DAC board for my Pi: Audiophonics I-Sabre DAC ES9023

I'm Rob.

Default New DAC board for my Pi: Audiophonics I-Sabre DAC ES9023

In my original post about my Raspberry Pi adventures I mentioned that I originally ordered an Audiophonics DAC, but got bored waiting for it and order an IQAudio board as well. Well a few days ago the Audiophonic DAC board finally arrived, and I've finally had a chance to fit it. The board is a Audiophonics I-Sabre DAC ES9023. It fits the same interface as the IQAudio board.

I also bought another Raspberry Pi (version 2 this time). I couldn't get my new Pi to recognise the Audiophonics board. However, I've swapped it out for the IQAudio on my first Pi (a B+) and it is working a treat there. I needed to change the volumio settings: set the I2S driver to Hifiberry, but that was all.

First impressions are very good.
    Rob.
    Powered by crossed fingers and clenched buttocks

I'm Josie.

it has better sockets I see... that was something I would have wanted to change on the IQAudio one... or have solder points to be able to set a choice of the plugs elsewhere.

How does it sound?
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Rob.

It feels better made all round. The phono sockets are more substantial.

It pass the Agnes Obel test better than the IQAudio - this is an album that has always troubled the IQAudio. I'm waiting a little to give a full assessment of the sound quality as if it's anything like the IQAudio, it will need a couple of days of playing before it gives of its best.

I'm looking forward to have a long listening session with it as it has a Sabre ES9023 chip at its core. I love the sound of my Peachtree DAC-IT which also has a Sabre DAC.

My plan is to get the IQAudio working with my other Raspberry Pi and then do a back to back comparison.
    Rob.

I'm Rob.

Actually, looking at the Audiophonics site again, my DAC is one of the new models: Audiophonics I-Sabre DAC ES9023 TCXO

Rob.

I'm Rob.

Smile Wow!

Wow. First night listening via the new DAC, and I have a huge smile on my face.

To my ears, the Audiophonics DAC is better than the IQaudIO! It has a more natural and nuanced presentation. I love it.

Also I'm not getting the odd artefacts I'd get with the IQaudIO. Everything is sounding good with the Audiophonics DAC.

I'll get my camera out tomorrow, and post a couple of photos of the unit.

Last edited by ReggieB; 13-06-2015 at 10:32.
    Rob.