+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: USB leads

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by Stratmangler View Post
    USB is not an audio specific connection. I would not recommend putting audio through USB cables of more than 5m.

Chris
    No, it ISN'T an "audio" connection, it's a streaming DIGITAL one and this cable would be delivering a digital data stream, not an audio signal. Slightly different rukes apply and as long as there is proper sheilding and the cable meets the correct spec in the correct lengths I doubt anyone could reliably tell any difference at all.

Belkin seem to make good cables and I'd stick with them to be honest...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Marktdac View Post
    So is there a physical difference between usb 1 usb 2 cables?and is a booster or a usb hub benificial? clive can u explain further?

mark

Yes, USB 2 cables will be certified for Hi-speed use and be shielded. However, a well designed USB1.1 cable may also work in hi-speed mode but then again it may not...

This is all probably irrelevant anyhow as I doubt you can still buy 'USB 1.1' cables as all will be USB2.0 now....the choice comes down to buying from a well known and reliable manufacturer who's cables will meet the spec or from the cheapest iffy Ebay source you can find who's cables may or may not meet the spec...
    Last edited by NRG; 13-09-2009 at 10:41.
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

So what about lengh of USB from dac to laptop ,could get away with 4m across carpet ,but thats not very practical so 6m hidden way would be best

Mark

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by Marktdac View Post
    So what about lengh of USB from dac to laptop ,could get away with 4m across carpet ,but thats not very practical so 6m hidden way would be best

Mark
    Over 5m you need an active repeater, indeed you probably can't buy a USB cable longer than 5m as that exceeds the spec.

Ok thanks will bare that in mind when buying a lead

Mark
    Nad C315,Nad C515.Tannoy F1s,Pro-ject-USB Dac

Pro-ject headamp ,Chord Crimson/Cobra2

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12