+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Malham Limestone Pavement

I'm Nodrog.

For me, the digital shots stay too much in focus all the way to the horizon without any softening. They this tend to look overlit (too much contrast?) and sharp. The tree shot just looks more natural. It is a very good picture.

I'm Shaun.

OK, first things first. Many thanks as always for your comments guys, I do so appreciate them. I am going to be drawn into this because I choose to so here goes... For me digital is dynamic, short, sharp and forceful. It has massive depth of field which, by the way, I do NOT like and it has massive contrast and sharpness which I also do NOT like. Silver halide is graceful, delicate and refined, all things I very definitely do like. Also because the format of the imaging sensor has a dramatic effect on the depth of field, film photography has a very narrow depth of field. A six by seven centimeter negative has an extremely shallow depth of field even using a wide angle lens. As a result of this, the horizon tends to be very soft and slightly 'out of focus' although this is not strictly true, it is a result of seriously limited depth of field. This is essential for portrait photography which brings me on to Barry's point.

I did a lot of portrait photography through the nineties mainly for friends and colleagues and the results were truly stunning. I always used Ilford Pan F+ which I developed in Paterson Aculux but these days I would use Tetenal Neofin Blue. It is a match made in heaven. I always used my Bronica at 6X4.5 cm with a plain prism finder and a 150mm medium telephoto lens so as to just squash the perspective slightly. It is essential that one focusses on the eye closest to the camera and ignores everything else as nothing else matters to be really honest. I shall post one of my shots as soon as it is scanned as I have nothing else to do tonight. Had curry, had beer, going to have vodka later.

Take great care everyone.

I'm Shaun.

My colleague from way back when Nikki. Taken using my then Bronica ETRSi fitted with a Bronica 150mm slight telephoto with no filtration whilst loaded with Ilford Pan F+ film which was processed using Paterson Aculux. Two soft boxes were used to light the shot with one unit set at a quarter power. A Chinese style blind was used as a backdrop. My guess is that this was taken around the mid nineties.

I'm Shaun.

This photographic print was part of a panel I submitted to the Royal Photographic Society towards an LRPS distinction. I got the award but had to surrender it a year later when I left the RPS due to having no money to pay the subscription. What was the bloody point

I'm Neil.

Beautiful photos as usual.

Regards Neil

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Haselsh1 View Post

Well, im not a photographer at all, but saw the thread title, so called in.

We went walking up there 2 weeks ago. fantastic scenery.

Walked up to the bottom of Malham Cove and looked up in amazement at the rock climbers doing their stuff on the sheer face.

Then up the path to the left side of those cliffs and along the edge ( where I think your pic is from )

Thanks for the lovely photo. My daughter took some similar ones for a school project, but Im afraid to say.......... only on her phone ! ( am I allowed to admit to that here ? )

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by take5 View Post
    My daughter took some similar ones for a school project, but Im afraid to say.......... only on her phone ! ( am I allowed to admit to that here ? )
    Any photo is better than no photo

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123