+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Inexpensive SACD players?

I'm Peter.

I have a Denon DVD-2910 - the same as Orbscure mentioned at the beginning of this topic, it is a gem - better than most of the Sony's I tried at the time

It is a shame you don't live nearer to Kent, as there looks to be a nice Denon DVD-2900 for £65 quid collect (with remote and manual ) Item No 332056172808

or I might sell mine for £100 delivered if you want, I have too many Hi-Fi bits at the moment, and I am saving up to buy a Pink Triangle turntable ( if anyone has a beaten up one cheap, please PM me )
    Movies ~ oppo 105 ~ marantz SR8001 ~ tannoy precision ~ BK Monolith Sub
    Vinyl ~ beogram 8002 ~ graham slee accession phono pre
    Red Book ~ Teac PD-H600 ~ red wine audio signature 30.2 ~ akg k-1000 headphones

I'm Grant.

got a DVD-2910 myself. my second one actually. Stonking build on these ans were veery expensive originally. Soung great and do sacd plus pretty much everything else inbetween

Quote Originally Posted by pcourtney View Post
    I have a Denon DVD-2910 - the same as Orbscure mentioned at the beginning of this topic, it is a gem - better than most of the Sony's I tried at the time

It is a shame you don't live nearer to Kent, as there looks to be a nice Denon DVD-2900 for £65 quid collect (with remote and manual ) Item No 332056172808

or I might sell mine for £100 delivered if you want, I have too many Hi-Fi bits at the moment, and I am saving up to buy a Pink Triangle turntable ( if anyone has a beaten up one cheap, please PM me )
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Shaun.

My experience with SACD has been very mixed. Back in 2004 I bought a Sony multiplayer thingy which just happened to play SACD's. The sound of these discs when played was without question superior to ordinary CD and this player is still functioning today but in 2014 I bought a Pioneer PDD6 which went pop in a big way within six months. OK, I could have had it repaired within six months but it was an internet purchase from God knows where so it wasn't really going to happen and given the amazing cheapness of this item and flimsiness of the drawer mechanism I shoved it in a skip where to be honest, it belonged. Will I ever go back to SACD even though I have a lot of discs...? No. I can't be bothered. I currently have the sound I want.

I'm Martin.

I've found that the hybrid SACDs sound just as good on a normal cd player. The benefit is all in the re-mastering. Also noticed that any CD played on a SACD player has that silky smoothness that is usually attributed to the SACD format. I suspect it is just the way the players are 'voiced'. Can't prove that, though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Peter.

Default DAC Differences

I disagree to a certain extent, I have had about 10 players capable of playing SA-CD's in my Hi-Fi rack over the last 15 years, I can honestly say that the difference IMHO is 75% the DAC, and 25% the better mastering of the disc, or lets say more money thrown at the production cycle to merit the so called extra SQ that SA-CD is supposed to bring

my Onkyo C-S5VL is testament to that, it uses the Wolfson 192 kHz/24-Bit D/A Converter (WM8742) and with a decent SA-CD sounds pretty darn good !

when I plug in my AKG K-601 or K-340 headphones into the headphone socket of the C-S5VL the experience is up thee with players that retail in the £2 to £5K world, it really is a giant killer, better than all the Sony and other SA-CD players I have used over those years, if you can find a C-S5VL cheap snap it up, it really is a bargain, make sure you get the remote control with it. Sell it on for a profit if you don't experience the SQ I get !

I'm Shaun.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've found that the hybrid SACDs sound just as good on a normal cd player. The benefit is all in the re-mastering. Also noticed that any CD played on a SACD player has that silky smoothness that is usually attributed to the SACD format. I suspect it is just the way the players are 'voiced'. Can't prove that, though.
    Hmmm... now that is really interesting. I may have to try that out myself

I'm Phil.

Quote Originally Posted by pcourtney View Post
    I disagree to a certain extent, I have had about 10 players capable of playing SA-CD's in my Hi-Fi rack over the last 15 years, I can honestly say that the difference IMHO is 75% the DAC, and 25% the better mastering of the disc, or lets say more money thrown at the production cycle to merit the so called extra SQ that SA-CD is supposed to bring

my Onkyo C-S5VL is testament to that, it uses the Wolfson 192 kHz/24-Bit D/A Converter (WM8742) and with a decent SA-CD sounds pretty darn good !

when I plug in my AKG K-601 or K-340 headphones into the headphone socket of the C-S5VL the experience is up thee with players that retail in the £2 to £5K world, it really is a giant killer, better than all the Sony and other SA-CD players I have used over those years, if you can find a C-S5VL cheap snap it up, it really is a bargain, make sure you get the remote control with it. Sell it on for a profit if you don't experience the SQ I get !
    well peter , after reading your post I remember one for sale so we shall see whats it like !! certainly a lot cheaper than marantz
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Peter.

Default Onkyo C-S5VL

there's a really nice one on ebay for under £200, but it's in Germany, looks like it comes with the remote as well

Onkyo C-S5VL CD / SACD-Player, silver, The player was only a few hours in operation, - is quasi as new Date of purchase was 10-2016, purchase document is enclosed Shipping with all accessories (FB, manual, etc.) In orig. Cardboard

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123