+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Damn! New Windows 8.1 PC has died.

I'm Chris.

Computers! a mind of their own!

Good tip though!
    Chris.

I'm Grant.

yeah make sure c drive is first
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

To add to the bother, I've just had to change my Outlook, eBay and AOS passwords 'cos they stopped working (right old rigmarole). Looks like I may have been hacked.

Gone through ALL the secrurity, cleaned everything out and scanned everything and found no reports of spyware or bugs.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Sam.

If it wouldn't power on at all, that can't be a boot order thing, that's a power management/protection thing surely. I'd suspect the hub. Maybe it's shorting something out on the pc and the motherboard detecting a power surge (if that's what modern motherboards might do..). Could even be a bit of something in the USB plug shorting out the pins?

Or it could be an under-specced PSU if the PC has a load of drives etc with not much headroom for the hub plus all the other peripherals, or it could be that your old PC had an extra robust USB port which could cope with the hub load but this new one isn't whilst still being perfectly within spec and correct..

Or a broken USB port - does it boot with a single peripheral plugged in?

I'm Geoff.

It's definitely the hub. When it's plugged in the PC just won't turn on, let alone boot. No lights or sound at all. My older hub does not cause problems. As I suggested earlier and as you seem to think, there may be some power leakage from the hub that is causing the issue. I've just stopped using it. Problem gone!!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Grant.

is it a powered hub Geoff??
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Been playing with my new (old) toy that arrived today. An Asus EEE Box micro desktop PC. It's only 8" x 8" x 2" , a tiny little thing that works very well. It has WiFi and built in DVD RW despite the small size. Quite quick despite the seemingly limited spec. A few years old, but it may come in handy.
    Last edited by walpurgis; 11-06-2015 at 22:16.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    is it a powered hub Geoff??
    Yup!

I'm Grant.

have you tried it with out the power and with a low powered device like a keyboard or empty unpowered
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    have you tried it with out the power and with a low powered device like a keyboard or empty unpowered
    No I haven't Grant. I always use powered hubs to keep the USB speed up. My old hub is powered and works fine with the new Acer job. I won't use the problem hub, its quality is suspect.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast