+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Layers of Beauty plinth

I'm John.

I know what you mean, but I'm also interested in how a modern deck sounds. I've been listening to my TD160 for over 40 years, so there's a little intrigue in the decision. The Project looks great too!
    Linn Axis tt/Akito arm/Nagaoka MP200 or ATVM95/ML carts/Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage/dedicated PSU
    Marantz CD6006/Cambridge 650T DAB
    Tisbury Mini Passive II pre/Roksan K3 Dac/Roksan K2 integrated used as power amp
    Atlas Element Integra Superior inter-connects
    Spendor SP1s(1988)/Van-Damme UP-LCOFC HiFi 4mm cable

I'm John.

Got the Project deck yesterday and, sods law, had the Thorens suspension fixed on the same day, but I was able to compare the decks. No comparison really, but for £200 the Project isn't bad. The sound is clear and reasonably well defined, but it lacks weight and richness as it tends towards over-brightness. At least I know what all the fuss about the current crop of cheap decks is about now and the quality of budget turntables has come on leaps and bounds since I was using a Garrard SP255, then the Pioneer PL12. I think the discrepancy in quality between the Thorens and the Project means I'll look for a different deck for my second system. Anyone interested in a mint condition Project Essential ll going cheap!
    Last edited by JohnNB; 19-11-2015 at 22:40.
    Linn Axis tt/Akito arm/Nagaoka MP200 or ATVM95/ML carts/Trichord Dino mk3 phono stage/dedicated PSU
    Tisbury Mini Passive II pre/Roksan K3 Dac/Roksan K2 integrated used as power amp

I'm Geoff.

Fall back, regroup. Buy the PL12D put a thick rubber mat on and an ADC headshell or similar, with a good Shure M75 EJ2 in it and enjoy the music. It won't sound anything like your description of the ProJect.

Mind you. A good Goldring Lenco GL75 will do nicely too.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Shaun.

Hey man, really sorry the Pro-Ject didn't quite work out for you. A bit of a pain really as it could have been a good match. From my point of view though, I do not intend to get rid of the TD160 especially as it now has a gorgeous, solid hardwood plinth that I adore. The one thing I would still like to do though is to upgrade the Linn LVV tonearm with an Origin Live Silver. I'm not too sure how this would improve things sonically but I just love that tonearm.

I'm John.

Hi Shaun,
    Not bothered by the Project experience, I'm sure it's saleable on Gumtree, and it's a fun piece of gear. Will go upmarket a bit though on the next one. Didn't ever think of getting rid of the Thorens - love it! Don't know the Origin tonearm, but mine has a Linn, which I think is superb, so if it improves on that then you're in for a treat.

I'm John.

I've got a mental block about getting a Pioneer as it would feel like going back in time. I think I'll go more upmarket the two decks are reasonabaly comparable. I've been offered a Thorens TD160D with a Rega tonearm, but I think ideally I'd like a deck of similar quality to my Thorens, but a different make. otherwise it would feel like duplication. It would have to be an old one to keep the price between £200 and £300 Any ideas, or am I being totally unrealistic?

I'm Grant.

Depends how upmarket tbh. A good arm and cart can cost more than that. Its a dangerous place your in lol. I was there and did up a 160(some may say pimped) But it cost quite a lot. trouble is most of the really good quality decks have gone up in price, and its getting difficult to find anything within a budget. If you like the thorens you could always try and pick up another. Some of the sony decks in their middle range like the 6750 i think is its number you might get at that price.. they are worth looking out for
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm John.

True, it's a dangerous (fools?) game chasing hi-fi upgrades. Keep telling myself that that's it, I'm happy with the sound I've got, and it's all about the music not the equipment. But after awhile the temptation to go for another piece of kit becomes irresistible. I'll have a look for the Sony deck, but the best deal I could probably get would be to take up the offer of the TD160D with a Rega arm. I think the 'D' means a TD160 minus an arm? so the deck would be different in tonearm alone to my TD160. It should sound different though, and I could also experiment with an MC cartridge - I see the slippery slope before me again. Adding a MC cartridge would double the price at least to £600! Maybe wait for a bit till the itch gets stronger!

I'm Shaun.

Along with you guys I am totally convinced that the sound I have is the sound I want which is why when I change a component for something a little less old, I do not want to completely cock up what I currently have. I shall be replacing the Rotel power amps with something brand new because, as I have already said, they are now over twenty years old and I do not trust them. They are to be replaced with Croft power amps just as soon as funds are there. The Linn LVV tonearm is to be replaced due to the fact it is even older but these changes are not being made just for the sake of chasing a dream which almost always turns into a nightmare.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234