+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Rolling Hobbitland...

I'm Sandy.

Default The Rolling Hobbitland...

Hi there!
    My name's Sandy and I'm a Scorpio, and I'm into, oops... sorry, wrong site!

I've been an irregular member over on the pink side for 9 years, yet have only just discovered TAoS! No idea why that is. I live on the Welsh Marches if you know where that is, in Wales, west of Shrewsbury. I work in England. But I am Scottish... just to confuse matters!

I worked in the trade back in 1988-92, and have been infected by the Naim virus since then. I have a Naim CDX and NAC72 (modded by Colin at CPT in Ludlow) into a HiCap/180 modded by Les W. So I sort of like the Naim sound but don't, if that makes sense?
    I've had a pair of Shahinian Arc from the late Bob Griffin since 1993. Recently got on to Usher with an old pair of S520s, and now have a more recent pair of S520/SW520 too. And a lovely old Primare D20/A20mk2 set up which I adore. I'm currently swapping between them all, and have been beguiled (good word for a Friday) by the Primare kit into the Ushers.

Music tastes are varied- right now Anouar Brahem is on, before that the Stones, and before that Mahler or John Grant. I like BBC 6music/Radio 3/4.
    Like several folk here, I have a motorbike and a set of earplugs. And 2 children- earplugs too! I used to be fit, no longer am, so have several unridden bicycles of varying vintage.

I am a musical magpie constantly on the lookout for something new to peck at.
    Last edited by kirstysdad; 05-06-2015 at 16:09. Reason: additional info

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Hi, welcome, I too am a Kirsty's dad. :-)
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Geoff.

Hi Sandy. Welcome to AOS.

You'll find it's a friendly place here and I'm sure there'll be plenty to interest you.

There are members who like bikes too. I'm one of them.

If you have system changes in mind, let us know what you have planned. We like to hear what people are doing.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm martin.

Howdy and welcome.
    Please take good care of your S2k keep it by your side for long and enjoy it from the bottom of your heart and share the quality and legacy of the S2k with many friends so that the legend of the S2k will continue for long. Shigeru Uehara Designer Honda S2000.

I'm Martin.

Welcome from a Libra...

I used to know the Welsh Marches, had a girlfriend who lived out In the sticks near Montgomery. Beautiful place, very remote and wild even though it is only down the road from Shrewsbury.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Welcome to AoS, Sandy

If you're anywhere near Montgomery, you live in a wonderful part of the world! It's one of my favourite little villages - totally idyllic, and somewhere both Del and I would love to live. On special occasions we enjoy having a meal at The Checkers: http://www.thecheckersmontgomery.co.uk/

Do you know of it?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Sandy.

Chequers is not far, and I've sampled their wares once or twice when funds permit... expensive, but not by Edinburgh, London or even Ludlow standards given the excellence of cuisine!
    Lovely biking, cycling and drinking in the 6 Bells at Bishops Castle. What a great wee place that is! Tiny place with 2 breweries!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Will give the 6 bells a go next time I'm in the area

Yeah, Checkers is pricey, but Stephane's food is truly top notch Michelin standard, and the vibe in his restaurant is wonderful, so cosy yet classy! We had a lobster bisque there that was to die for

We also love shopping at Bunners - what a time warp that place is! But you always find something different that you can't get anywhere else. The little deli/cafe in the main street is wonderful too (especially the home-made soups). Also, if you fancy a top-notch home-made curry, try the lamb one that they serve in the Dragon Hotel - it's stunning [and the beer there is pretty good, too]!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Geoffrey.

Hello and welcome Sandy.

Geoff.

+ Reply to Thread