+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: SECA KITS Diy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I'm Rob.

Hi Colin ,
    I'm definately be interested how do want paying etc ?
    Regards
    Rob

I'm Colin.

Hi Rob sent PM and now e-mail, best Col

I'm Colin.

Now working on a super version will be available in a few month after I have tried to kill it. It will out perform the Iridium but it will not be so cheap to make as the baby version now available, parts are silly prices (sorry). It will use the same PSU but will also self generate on the Amp PCB a 2 x Vc drive this will push the dynamics higher and increase the bandwidth to a silly 1MHz, we do filter the input to stop you local Taxi service from wrecking the sound but the amp damping factor will also improve.

And from those out there who commented on the less expensive Amp thanks for your input on construction it has all been implemented. See Pic.

I'm James.

Fantastic !
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm Colin.

PSU to Amp connection.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wonfor View Post
    The new SECA KIT for the DIY is sounding very nice, PCB's for the Amp and the Dynamic PSU are now available.

I had Sam build them and he has now soldering or building experience.

Is the top photograph the SECA and the lower photo the Dynamic PSU? Would it be possible to provide a PCB for the latter that does not use surface mount components?

You say 20W is available from the SECA, yet the PCB has "10W Class A SECA" printed on it. What is the maximum voltage swing at the output terminals? (I use Quad 57 ESLs, which can be damaged if they receive a signal > 20V rms).

Sorry to ask so many questions Colin, but I would be interested in building a pair of these amps.

Thanks

Barry
    Barry

I'm Colin.

Hi Barry,

"Is the top photograph the SECA and the lower photo the Dynamic PSU? Would it be possible to provide a PCB for the latter that does not use surface mount components?

You say 20W is available from the SECA, yet the PCB has "10W Class A SECA" printed on it. What is the maximum voltage swing at the output terminals? (I use Quad 57 ESLs, which can be damaged if they receive a signal > 20V rms).

Sorry to ask so many questions Colin, but I would be interested in building a pair of these amps.

Thanks

Barry"

The top is the Amp.
    Bottom the PSU.
    PSU was not going to be sold with this for the DIY but assembled but James and Paul convinced me 1206 SMD resistors could be place by hand by anybody and Sam above has proved this.
    10W on the PCB is the min power out.
    The Amp PCB will run at lower enough voltage to keep below 20V i.e. 20V RMS is 50W this amp will be OK if heatsink dissipation does not exceed 100W
    So you well loved Quad will be OK as the PCB is ideally suited to run less than 30WRMS.

Barry and anybody you are all welcome to ask questions so please do, try to avoid techy stuff.

Best Col
    Last edited by Colin Wonfor; 13-06-2015 at 12:54.

I'm James.

The SMD parts arnt so bad as long as you have a steady hand and a bit of patience, sometimes solder paint can be helpful.
    Source: Heavily modified DDDAC using MacBook Pro.
    Amplification: Pre amp-Stereo Coffee pre amp on steroids.
    Power amp- Rather large Colin Wonfor Class A power Amp
    Speakers: Lampizator P17 Open Baffles
    Accessories: Klotz 500 DIY Interconnects & DIY speaker cable sounding better than anything commercial.
    All powered from a Mother Trucker BPS with a dedicated consumer unit with 10mm armoured radial back to the house tails after the meter.

I'm Colin.

This is the power ON/OFF circuit Sam used in his Kit, which was made in a Maplin £39.00 PC chassis. Press "RESET" to turn ON and the PC "ON" button to turn OFF. And a LED to indicates ON, Standby power was less than 1W.

I'm Colin.

Default A Quick listen by Steve

Steve on Sunday was forced to listen to this he he.

"DIY SECA Kit

I recently had the opportunity to hear the best sounding 'computer case' I've come across..!

I'm not a reviewer so bear with me if my analogies are a bit wayward, but I'm trying to find ways to express a 'sense' through words. I should add that the time spent was more of a listen than a test or review and connected components were only a 10+ year old DVD player as source (!), bog standard IEC power cables and cheap mid-sized stand-mount speakers. I'll surmise my thoughts based on existing experience (neither vast nor exotic) - They're musical, fast, detailed, pure and textured.

From cold, the opening track through the SECAs began with a thrum across acoustic guitar that was open with an in-the-room'ness quality…

With acoustic, ambient/electronic and voice the overriding sense is that the SECAs are VERY open, detailed and light of touch, music seems almost as if carried on air.

The sound is just 'there' and 'pure' rather than other amps that seem to almost push music down a tube, constraining and colouring it. I think the SECAs may be what some would call 'natural' sounding (ie. they don't really add anything).

Sound no longer came from (within) the speakers but more like a bloom of sound that surrounded or escaped their confines and filled the space around with an effortless delivery."

Thanks Steve.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast