+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New from London

I'm neil.

Default New from London

I went to a record fair with the intent of browsing and left lighter quite a lot of cash and some more vinyl for my tiny collection. Another anorak insisted I buy Rory Gallagher's Irish 74 Tour lp! Thank goodness after a post buy seach on ebay I've actually paid under the market rate. Anyway I decided that maybe I should look at my equipment and after a chat with the local store (old school) they suggested changing my chario syntar speaks for some bbc studio monitors with 3 drivers for about £680? Anybody know more than I do about these speakers?

http://www.kef.com/html/gb/explore/about_kef/kef/

I don't know if these are the exact ones I'm being offered but got that from my google.

The place I've been talking to is the http://www.theaudiocentre.com/ in Croydon

The other equipment is probably quite low end for this site but we all have to start somewhere

Yamaha P220 Record Player
    (bought from the place that is recommending the speakers)

Yamaha AX592 Amp
    (had for about 15 years form the US). Actually I just read a review on this Amp for mid/low value it doesn't get a bad write up

I'm Geoff.

Hello Neil. Welcome to AOS.

Hi End or Low End, it doesn't matter, our members like and use all types of equipment. Vintage gear is very popular.

The LS3/5a speakers in your link are not three way, they use two drive units and are a highly respected vintage classic design. But tend to be very overpriced these days, with some variants fetching around £2000 a pair. The quoted £680 is probably reasonable given going rates, but I'd be surprised if you found them a huge improvement over your Charios.

If you have ideas that you'd like to discuss. Start a thread in the Blank Canvas area and outline what you have in mind. I'm sure you'll get plenty of replies.

You'll find plenty to interest you here.

Enjoy the forum,
    Geoff.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Welcome to AoS Neil,

Don't worry about what anybody thinks of your audio gear - we're not judgemental here on AoS. What matters is what sounds good to you.

As Geoff has said, I don't think the Rogers LS3/5As will necessarily be right for you or a big improvement over what you have already, despite the reasonable asking price. The LS3/5As were designed as near-field monitors (that means you listen to them close up) for use in BBC outside broadcast vans to monitor the quality of speech. Thus the midrange performance is excellent but the bass is curtailed and ideally needs to be supplemented with a sub woofer.

Anyway start a thread in Blank Canvas and let us know what you want from your system, and let us know what your tastes in music are.

Enjoy the Forum

Regards
    Barry
    Barry

I'm Grant.

Yes good advice there.... welcome aboard Neil.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoffrey.

Hello and welcome Neil.

Geoff.

+ Reply to Thread