+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hi from the bonnie north

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Certainly! Why not just come round with some of your favourite cd's and we'll have a few drams and enjoy the tunes...

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    He does that. We humour him!
    Haha, now fixed!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Welcome Simon - wow, big influx of joiners lately - word must be getting around what a great place this is to be Have fun.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Just noticed I'm supposed to offer a list of my preferred music. Well, in the order in which they come to mind:

The Prodigy - ("Music For The Jilted Generation"'s Narcotic Suite still takes me wonderful places; "Experience" always makes me smile with its cheeky rhythms and infectious effects. Saw these guys live at T In The Park, I was still dancing on the train home.)
    Ry Cooder - ("Chicken Skin Music"'s Chloe is fantastic, and Yellow Roses is pure ballad heaven; "Bop Till You Drop"'s Down In Hollywood is great fun; "Paradise and Lunch" - heck, I love this just for the cover!)
    Audioslave/Foo Fighters/30 Seconds To Mars are great examples of modern rock---raw, grinding heaven.
    Funk, such as the found on the "Mojo Club Presents Dancefloor Jazz" collections, and "The Sound Gallery, Vol.1"
    Thomas Newman (but not "Jarhead")
    James, and Tim Booth's collaboration with Angelo Badalamenti
    Jean Michel Jarre
    Oh, and how could I forget The Amazing Rhythm Aces, Little Feat and Steve Forbert! My dad had the greatest collection of vinyl as I grew up, and these last three became my favourites.
    I've been getting into my 80's stuff, such as early Prince, New Order, Pet Shop Boys. Must pick up some Depeche Mode.
    Talking Heads, "Naked" and "Little Creatures".
    Latino Jazz.
    And, a final recommendation, a particular song by Spiritualized, called "Out Of Sight". 6 minutes long and seems far too short.

Oh, did I use enough smileys?
    Last edited by sburrell; 15-09-2009 at 00:46.
    Simon.

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Quote Originally Posted by sburrell View Post
    I've been getting into my 80's stuff, such as early Prince, New Order, Pet Shop Boys. Must pick up some Depeche Mode.
    Do we deduce from this that you weren't old enough first time round, and you're a mere whippersnapper, or were you completely off your face and the decade managed to somehow pass you by?

As someone who wasn't completely off his tits at the time, being a teenager in the 80s was great - I was a big Depeche Mode fan, with the majority of their early stuff on 7" vinyl. Spotify is where you want to head - loads of their stuff on there - they remain great IMO - some classic albums over the years, but I'd advise trying them chronologically (starting with Speak & Spell) to see how they developed from there.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Thumbs up 80s music roolz!

Yay - another 80s boy! Welcome to da club

There are too many prog/classic rock/'hippy shit' fans on here!!

I do like that stuff too, but it's not the 'be all and end all' that some people would have you believe. Simon, check this thread out. It should bring back some happy memories and probably a few giggles:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=3481

Enjoy!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Neil.

Hi Simon

Welcome to the forum....would have welcomed you earlier but I am just back from Scotland. Great country, great people and IMHO the most beautiful place in the world. I would move there tomorrow but alas my wife is a home bird so NI is where we sit....for now anyway

Russ Andrews in Edinburgh was a nice shop, bit Linn, Naim for me, but nice lay out and interesting, unlike Hi-Fi( what Hi-Fi?) Corner in Rose Street...heck they used to have Meridian and a good trade in section ....not anymore Bose and Tv's I always call in with Graham at Retro reproductions always interesting kit there.

Regards D S D L
    Regards Neil

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Welcome to the forum....would have welcomed you earlier but I am just back from Scotland. Great country, great people and IMHO the most beautiful place in the world. I would move there tomorrow but alas my wife is a home bird so NI is where we sit....for now anyway
    Scotland certainly has its moments, that's for sure---Aberdeenshire especially. Pity Edinburgh is no longer one of them for the time being. Grr, tram works…
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalek Supreme D L View Post
    Russ Andrews in Edinburgh was a nice shop, bit Linn, Naim for me, but nice lay out and interesting, unlike Hi-Fi( what Hi-Fi?) Corner in Rose Street...heck they used to have Meridian and a good trade in section ....not anymore Bose and Tv's I always call in with Graham at Retro reproductions always interesting kit there.
    It was Graham that sold me the Manticore Mantra and the Denon POA-F100. I could spend hours in there just looking at the old kit, but I feel a bit out of place. People spend and trade in the high hundreds/low thousands in there, and I'm a budget laddie.

Anyway, thanks for the welcome! From the Dalek Supreme him/itself---golly!
    Simon.

Hi Simon,

Have you checked out the 80s music thread yet I linked to earlier?

Marco.
    Main System

I'm seldomaroundnow.

Hi Marco,

Working my way through it. Lot of stuff there! So far I've enjoyed a bit of Kate Bush ("Heathcliff, it's mee, I'm Kathee!"), being hit with a Rhythm Stick and Ballroom Blitz. One thing Glam Rock tells me is that charts these days is full of people taking themselves far too seriously! *whistles four ascending notes, one descending* I'm Lovin' It! Oh, who was that doing, "I Feel Love"? Stunner! Was that Donna Summer?

I'm composing a reply to Alex_UK as we speak, but I keep getting signed out of the forum so I'm doing it in a plain text editor and I'll paste it in later.
    Simon.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast