+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A visit to RJS, aka mixing it with the big boys.

I'm Rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post

The Firebottle KIN preamp is my swansong of design, a giant killer at rather less than a giant price. So far proven as a line preamp, following up shortly with the phono section as well. A sample will be at NEBO6, unfortunately that's not a lot of use to you where you are presumably.

Treats in store!!! I'll look forward to hearing that.

Great thread and pics guys.
    One of these days... I'm going to cut you into little pieces.

I'm Ken.

That looks a meaty set up, I can imagine it would sound VERY good!

Also looking forward to hearing the phono stage at NEBO6.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Qwin View Post
    That looks a meaty set up, I can imagine it would sound VERY good!

Also looking forward to hearing the phono stage at NEBO6.
    Can I have video link?
    ABD.

I'm Alan.

Default Even better - OTL goodness

To achieve better you sometimes have to take the left field approach. Everyone must know I am a big fan of OTL power amps

So when the opportunity arose to hear a new model around at Rob's it would have been churlish of me not to take advantage.
    This is the beast, from Absolutor, still in its pre-production guise:

A very well constructed unit with some quality components inside, rear view here:

It's a single ended 4W class A with paralleled output tubes.

Having said the sound was excellent previously it was now sublime. Difficult to come up with the superlatives, a real clarity and extension to the soundstage. One of Rob's test tracks from Bjork with 'lethal' bass on it was so coherent at the bottom end it makes you realise what limitations there are with output transformers, however massive/expensive.

Equipment line up was Lampizator transport, Lampizator Golden Gate DAC, Firebottle KIN preamp, Absolutor OTL, hORNS FP-15 speakers.

Heavenly. The tracks played were mixed up a bit, one of the better known being Hotel California from the Eagles, very well known by me.

Just the best ever, ever. I need a lie down just thinking about it
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Geoff.

That certainly looks the part!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm inthescottishmafia.

How much is the amp going to be?
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Alan.

I'm told about £2.5K

I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Phil.

good to see RJS on here . I rather miss robs input on a certain other forum . having heard those lampizators here I am rather taken with them
    ou might slip, you might slide, you might
    Stumble and fall by the road side
    But don't you ever let nobody drag your spirit down
    Remember you're walking up to heaven

Don't let nobody turn you around
    … Walk with the rich, walk with the poor
    Learn from everyone, that's what life is for
    And don't you let nobody drag your spirit down

Eric Bibb

I'm Robert.

Quote Originally Posted by hifinutt View Post
    good to see RJS on here . I rather miss robs input on a certain other forum . having heard those lampizators here I am rather taken with them
    Hi Phil,

Yes it's been a while, and thanks for the warm welcome. Alans Firebottle Kin pre is an outstanding piece of work by the way - well worth a listen.

Do feel free to PM me if you fancy catching up offline/in the actual, genuine, real world .

Robert
    Last edited by rjs; 16-07-2015 at 22:14.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebottle View Post
    To achieve better you sometimes have to take the left field approach. Everyone must know I am a big fan of OTL power amps

So when the opportunity arose to hear a new model around at Rob's it would have been churlish of me not to take advantage.
    This is the beast, from Absolutor, still in its pre-production guise:

A very well constructed unit with some quality components inside, rear view here:

It's a single ended 4W class A with paralleled output tubes.

Having said the sound was excellent previously it was now sublime. Difficult to come up with the superlatives, a real clarity and extension to the soundstage. One of Rob's test tracks from Bjork with 'lethal' bass on it was so coherent at the bottom end it makes you realise what limitations there are with output transformers, however massive/expensive.

Equipment line up was Lampizator transport, Lampizator Golden Gate DAC, Firebottle KIN preamp, Absolutor OTL, hORNS FP-15 speakers.

Heavenly. The tracks played were mixed up a bit, one of the better known being Hotel California from the Eagles, very well known by me.

Just the best ever, ever. I need a lie down just thinking about it
    I'm not too familiar with OTL circuitry, so I hope you won't mind me asking a few, possibly, naive questions. To obviate the need for an output (anode) impedance matching transformer, I assume the (single ended?) output valves are wired in parallel. Do they act as cathode followers? How is the inevitable DC offset blocked - do you use an output capacitor?

I have heard that under fault conditions, things can go wrong - disasterously wrong! Can you elucidate what can happen?

Thanks
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast