+ Reply to Thread

Thread: SL1210 Mk2 with SME III

I'm Geoff.

Default SL1210 Mk2 with SME III

Evening all,

Well my first SL1210 project might not be very ambitious by the measure of many on this section but I'm pleased with it so I thought I'd share:

I bought a pair of SL1210s a few months back - the first time I've had one. I sold one on to help pay for the other and found I rather liked the one I had left so thought I might have a little play.

I loved the ease of use but the stock arm didn't really suit my collection of cartridges which are mostly old (sorry, vintage) Shures.
    Anyhow, I had an SL-150 (Mk1) with an SME series III on it and I thought it might fit well on the 1210.

After much pondering, I ordered an ebony armboard for the SME from Speed Steve which arrived today. Very please with that; obivously I don't know how much is the arm and what the board does but it sounds loads better than the stock arm and I still need to set up the arm distance properly and find some damping fluid as the previous owner obviously hadn't stored it flat so the silicone was spread all over the arm.

I've also 'made' a Technics sized Achromat from a spare full sized version. I did this by clamping a craft knife in a vice over the rotating platter with the mat on to mark it out. I then cut it by hand with the knife and sanded to as near round as I can make it. Not a bad job in the end I think!

I now need to buy some damping fluid for the arm - is the lavishly expensive SME stuff the best bet?

Might look out for some new feet as well as the rubber in mine is starting to crack.
    Last edited by Geoff101; 29-05-2015 at 20:20.

I'm Andrei.

Very nice Geoff! While I can't vouch for the sound that arm certainly looks the goods - quite a good match visually with the TT. What I can vouch for regarding the sound is replacing the feet. Isonoe feet are popular and with good reason. They are available in black and would IMHO enhance the looks further.
    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Sources:[/B] [B]1[/B][/COLOR] PC & Wyred4Sound DAC-2 DSDse   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]2[/B][/COLOR] Oppo BDP105   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]3[/B][/COLOR] Technics SL·1210 MK5 (Jelco 750D · Benz Wood).    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speaker Cable[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=black]Nordost Frey.[/COLOR]    [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Interconnects [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Oyaide[/COLOR][COLOR=black] & [/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Geisha [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Silver.
    [/COLOR][B][COLOR=#a52a2a]Phono Stage [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=black]Fosgate Signature V2. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Preamp [/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000]Ayon Eris[/COLOR][COLOR=black]. [/COLOR]   [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Power Amp[/B][/COLOR] [COLOR=Black]ATC P1. [/COLOR]  ​ [COLOR=#a52a2a][B]Speakers[/B][/COLOR] Triangle Magellan Cello.     [COLOR=#A9A9A9]Oh Sting, where is thy death?[/COLOR]

I'm Adam.

Looking good Geoff.

I'm keiron.

Hi Geoff

I have the same Series III arm as you, you can see mine here (hope the link works)

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...-Gallery/page3

I don't have the damping trough though.

The arm, you often read, "divides opinion". As you'll know, it was designed for high compliance carts like the Shure (I have a M97Xe) and apparently, was the last arm of its kind. At the time, Stereophile had it as their reference arm.

http://www.stereophile.com/content/s...es-iii-tonearm

I do suspect you would have to spend considerably more money to get marginal improvements.

I'm Andy.

A very pretty Techie there Geoff.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Yeah, the SME Series III is undoubtedly a great visual match for the Techy - especially with the SS ebony armboard!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Chris.

Very nice set up. I like the SS armboard. Next upgrade....

Turntable 1: Technics SL1210M5G/ KAB PSU/ KAB Fluid Damper
    Turntable 2: Rega P3 (new) Tangospinner & dual belt/ Rega Neo
    Amplifier: Rega Elex-R
    RIAA: Rega Fono mk3 & Schiit Mani
    Speaker: Klipsch RP280f
    Cartridge: Rega Exact & Nagaoka MP-110

I'm Peter.

Hi Geoff,

you have a classy setup there, I had until very recently the SL-120 with SME 3009 S2 Improved Arm and it sounded fabulous, I also have an SME S3 ( the same as you ) , and it sounded fantastic when I tried it on the SL-120, so no reason with the right cart ( very high compliance and tracking around 1.5g) that you won't get good sq.

One of the best carts with the SME and the SL-120 was the Shure V15 Type III, truly wonderful sounding combo, for a little more money the B&O MMC1 or MMC2 carts, or the super expensive SMMC2 from Soundsmith ( I have had all 3 and prefer the stock B&O carts )

the SME fluid damper, just use a quality Baby Oil, it is the perfect viscosity for the FD-200 damper that came with all my lightweight SME arms from the seventies, no longer in vogue because of the huge uptake of low compliance MC carts requiring medium to high mass tonearms, so lots of bargains to be found at the moment with high compliance MM ( Moving Magnet and Moving Iron ) carts.

as to feet, try the ISO-9H from Audio Serenity, they work well, not that I had a lot of footfall or vibrations from
    my concrete floor, but I used them on my SL-120 and tested them on various spots around the house, and
    they work very well given how cheap they are

http://www.audioserenity.co.uk/iso-9h/
    Movies ~ oppo 105 ~ marantz SR8001 ~ tannoy precision ~ BK Monolith Sub
    Vinyl ~ beogram 8002 ~ graham slee accession phono pre
    Red Book ~ Teac PD-H600 ~ red wine audio signature 30.2 ~ akg k-1000 headphones

+ Reply to Thread