+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cartridge upgrade on Thorens TD160

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

The Denon isn't overly warm at all, but neither is it 'exciting,' spitting 'hf deeeetail' all over the place

I'm out of date here, but the cheaper Ortofon MC's like the X1-MC (below the Vivo Red) were a bit fierce in my day, even for me. I honestly wouldn't put the DL110 anywhere near that bracket and this latter apparently makes a great choice for the stock techie arm. The 110 just gets on with it.

The Dual cartridge you have pictured can be readily improved though and for starters, the Me97XE would be great, as would the Ortofon 520mk2 (Vinyl master something) which comes between the 2M Red and Blue I believe (I NEVER found the OM20 or 520 in either marque as 'difficult' as the 2M Blue).

Yep, the Thorens can be fulfilling in areas that a Rega can't because the latter is so simple. My advice is still to look at the 160 Super updates as inspiration, as these genuinely suited this design well (heavier rubber mat with good contact area, more solid plinth AND BASE).

Good luck
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm stuart.

All of the Thorens I've tinkered with over the years (TD125/126/140/150/160) were greatly improved by using a decent hardwood or thick ply plinth and thick ply base (at least 12mm thick base). On a 160 I'd also damp the sub-chassis with cork, dynamat on the chassis and move the arm ground cable from the right hand channel ground to it's own grounding point.

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by paskinn View Post
    I would use a Shure 97xe, comically good for £70 and competitive with stuff at any times the price. Just not fashionable.....
    Thanks Peter, the Shure is a popular choice it seems too, so maybe that could be a sensible upgrade for now.

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The Dual cartridge you have pictured can be readily improved though and for starters, the Me97XE would be great.....
    Thanks Dave, maybe that's the way to go in the short term, well within budget and a good upgrade but frees up some cash for other changes!

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by killie99 View Post
    All of the Thorens I've tinkered with over the years (TD125/126/140/150/160) were greatly improved by using a decent hardwood or thick ply plinth and thick ply base (at least 12mm thick base).
    That is certainly something I intend to do Stuart. The Russ Collinson plinths look well made as does a Dutch producers, Audio-Affectus on Ebay.

Cheers
    Laurence

I'm keith.

got a 160 myself a little while ago and it came with a goldring elektra which sounds surprisingly good. Been thinking about upgrades myself but for now im perfectly happy with the way it sounds

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by skimminstones View Post
    got a 160 myself a little while ago and it came with a goldring elektra which sounds surprisingly good. Been thinking about upgrades myself but for now im perfectly happy with the way it sounds
    Hi Keith

I guess in some respects i needn't change anything as mine sounds pretty good too. I have a slight tinkering nature itch that i need to scratch from time to time. I do it with my motorcycles too. Glad you are enjoying yours.
    Cheers
    Loz

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The Denon isn't overly warm at all, but neither is it 'exciting,' spitting 'hf deeeetail' all over the place

I'm out of date here, but the cheaper Ortofon MC's like the X1-MC (below the Vivo Red) were a bit fierce in my day, even for me. I honestly wouldn't put the DL110 anywhere near that bracket and this latter apparently makes a great choice for the stock techie arm. The 110 just gets on with it.

The Dual cartridge you have pictured can be readily improved though and for starters, the Me97XE would be great, as would the Ortofon 520mk2 (Vinyl master something) which comes between the 2M Red and Blue I believe (I NEVER found the OM20 or 520 in either marque as 'difficult' as the 2M Blue).

Yep, the Thorens can be fulfilling in areas that a Rega can't because the latter is so simple. My advice is still to look at the 160 Super updates as inspiration, as these genuinely suited this design well (heavier rubber mat with good contact area, more solid plinth AND BASE).

Good luck
    P.s. Dave, I do believe that your location refers not to an actual place but to two very excellent Ulrich Schnauss albums?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12