+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cartridge upgrade on Thorens TD160

I'm Loz.

Default Cartridge upgrade on Thorens TD160

Evening. I'm new to this forum. So far It's looking great.

Anyway I'd like to hear your opinions on where to go next in terms of a cartridge upgrade. I have a standard Thorens TD160 MK1 with the TP-16 tonearm. The cartridge at the moment is a humble Dual badged AT-91 which has done me proud but I understand has its limitations. Budget wise, my upper limit is £200. My present amp is a Arcam Delta 60, a Arcam DV137 for CD/SACDand speakers are Adam Audio Artist 5.

I have heard good things about the Denon DL110, but am put off slightly by the none replaceable stylus. Have heard good things also about the Ortofon 2M Blue. Many thanks to everyone who posts a reply.

Cheers

Laurence

I'm Grant.

The denon hmc cart should be fine on a tip16. not quite so sure about the orto though. Woudnt worry about the stylus being fixed. its not a super expensive cart and you usually find in replaceable mm cart stylii that the replacement is almost as expensive as the whole thing cost. MC's are non replaceable by us but sound very good. Just sold my last 110 last week
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Loz.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    The denon hmc cart should be fine on a tip16. not quite so sure about the orto though. Woudnt worry about the stylus being fixed. its not a super expensive cart and you usually find in replaceable mm cart stylii that the replacement is almost as expensive as the whole thing cost. MC's are non replaceable by us but sound very good. Just sold my last 110 last week
    Thanks Grant
    The Denon does seem a popular choice. I'm curious why you have reservations regarding the Ortofon?

I'm Grant.

Sure it would work but not so sure its a match made in heaven. not tried a blue but I find those denon h outputers hard to beat for value. they are a good size and the vf should be right for a tip16..Orto's might be a tad smooth
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Loz.

OK grand.

Cheers

I'm bob.

Quote Originally Posted by HackneyRF View Post
    Thanks Grant
    The Denon does seem a popular choice. I'm curious why you have reservations regarding the Ortofon?
    The Ortofon 2M series are usually fixed from the top, and I think with your Thorens headshell you can only fix from below. You can get 2Ms that attach from below but they are not so common (it would be called "2M BLUE VERSO")

I have a 150 with a TP-13A and am waiting on a Denon 160 to try out with it. I have also been recommended a Goldring 1006 which apparently works well (according to a chap at Deco Audio) but have not tried it yet.

I'm Clive.

The Ortofon will work well with your Thorens, though you will need the "Verso" version which is available via your dealer.

IMO and experience, High Output MC's tend to lose a lot of the smoothness that MC's are known for and as I am not a fan of Denons (well known on this forum) I cannot recommend the DL110, though its hard to argue the value.

Other cartridges which would work well with the Thorens would be by Goldring (who in the past have made cartridges for Linn) and Rega.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Yep, the Ortofon Blue does mount from the top and is a fussy beggar to get to work at all, let alone properly for good sound I understand (the Bronze is a very different and much better beast and I now know this one quite well).

The Denon 110 is boringly good still and IMO not as bad as Clive tells above (it suffers by omission IMO rather than adding nasty resonances) but has suffered some sneaky price increases in recent years as its popularity has grown again. Another consideration for the TP16 is the Sumiko Blue Point (the basic one). The much cheaper Shure 97XE would be a better match for a stock TD160mk1 though.

Having said all this, the Td160 itself will need some attention to get the best out of these cartridges, some EP80 or similar thick viscous 'adhesive' oil in the wobbly bearing will be beneficial (all 160mk1's I set up had some slop in the main bearing, fixed in the mk2 and subsequent models).

The mat should be replaced with either a cheap cork one (one or two suppiers do large centre hole mats to suit typical classic Thorens platters) or a heavy rubber one as fitted to the 160 Super (I dare say a Lenco 75 mat would work as well on the Thorens as it does on the GL75 despite the concentric 'ribs.'

I used to remove the foam bungs in the springs as a matter of course, using some thin long-nosed pliers to pull it out from within the spring coils thereby not disturbing the spring seating, but this does make the suspension rather lively and any subjective improvement is open to question I now believe.

The TP16 itself can have too much rattle in the arm bearings. These needle pivots aren't as fine as the equivalent Dual tonearm ones for example and if even slightly over-tightened, the arm bearings will lock up (horizontal one is under the top cap which can easily be prised off). Even a well damped MC like the DL110 may benefit from well adjusted bearings.

Lastly, a NEW BELT ever couple of years is mandatory. The belts used are small, very stretchy and don't stay the course as long as say a Linn belt. Originals now in manufacture and easy to obtain (I want to try the Thakker one as I have a sneaky feeling it could be identical - not all pattern copies are...).

Hope you don't mind the above. I used to know these decks inside out and set hundreds up in my time with original and all sorts of other tonearms. They can sound very pleasant, but to get the best out of the basic design, the 'Super' should be considered, not in the fancy sub-chassis and platter damping, which actually does very little if anything (my mate at KJ used to cut precision damping sheets using a template and we charged £25 to fit them, so we had loads of before and after knowledge), but a beefed up plinth and mat works wonders...

[severe edit] You might not want to read this, but in the mid to late 70's, KJ weren't Rega dealers, although we traded a good few 2's and 3's in. The Regas ALWAYS sounded better and Hifi Dave here found the same (he has been selling Rega products for forty years now).
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Loz.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    The Ortofon 2M series are usually fixed from the top, and I think with your Thorens headshell you can only fix from below. You can get 2Ms that attach from below but they are not so common (it would be called "2M BLUE VERSO")
    Robert, the previous owner did this modification to the headshell so it could have top fixing cartridges, seems to work without issue.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=482956

Here is mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    IMO and experience, High Output MC's tend to lose a lot of the smoothness that MC's are known for and as I am not a fan of Denons (well known on this forum) I cannot recommend the DL110, though its hard to argue the value.
    Thanks Clive, certainly food for thought. Although you are one of the first to not like the Denon!

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    Yep, the Ortofon Blue does mount from the top and is a fussy beggar to get to work at all, let alone properly for good sound I understand (the Bronze is a very different and much better beast and I now know this one quite well).

The Denon 110 is boringly good still and IMO not as bad as Clive tells above (it suffers by omission IMO rather than adding nasty resonances) but has suffered some sneaky price increases in recent years as its popularity has grown again. Another consideration for the TP16 is the Sumiko Blue Point (the basic one). The much cheaper Shure 97XE would be a better match for a stock TD160mk1 though.
    Cheers Dave
    The Bronze is out of my budget really. Your opinions on the Denon however don't really sell it to me, sounds as though I may find it underwhelming. I do enjoy warm sound but perhaps it could be too warm. One or two have mentioned the Shure as a good match and it's a good price too. Will do some research on the Sumiko. A big thanks for the additional info on the 160.

I'm peter.

I used the Thorens for years, nice deck, and to me rather nicer to own than a rega. For cartridges, avoid cheap MC units, I would use a Shure 97xe, comically good for £70 and competitive with stuff at any times the price. Just not fashionable.....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast