+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Record cleaning machines - Audiodesk vs Loricraft/Keith Monks type

montesquieu Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Parkie37 View Post
    I have owned both and I prefer the Loricraft. It is much quieter, although if you truly want quiet, the PR-6 is even quieter than my PR-4. I also feel that the records are cleaner. The Audiodesk can't be beat for certain types of dirtiness, but the Loricraft allows different types of cleaner and you can scrub away dirty, greasy fingerprints or go over certain areas again and again.

I won't buy an ultrasonic again for another reason...a fellow on an American forum cleaned over fifty records in a row on his KL Audio ultrasonic and he had migraines for over a week and suffered other symptoms. You are exposed to high frequency noise, but can't hear it. A couple of records are probably fine but the gist of his story was to put the machine in the garage. He stopped listening to his Shindo system for over a week after that. You are supposed to listen to more not less.

Although there is noise with the Loricraft, you could still listen to music with it running. I have several types of cleaning fluid but my favourite is the Art Du Son.

Thanks Don this is really useful info -just the kind of first hand experience I was hoping for.

I'm scott.

I get loricraft/monks/clearaudio as trade ins every month via the audiodesk
    should have a good used loricraft next week if required

Audio desk does 200 LPs per batch 4000LPs can be done in a few weeks & as simple to work as a toaster
    & you can play music while its working 100% automatic , mine sits 2 feet from me only noise is the air drying cycle

vertical loading & about a 1/3rd of the size of most vacuum RCMs & can be moved with one hand if you need a place in a cupboard

cleaned several thousand LPs on mine & results akin to buying a new turntable you have no idea whats lurking in the grooves until you use one

consumables - will cost you a fortune in inner sleeves must of used about a pallet of Mofi inners in the last year
    buy distilled water very cheaply in 100litres drums does about 3000/4000 LPs

audio desk fluid & filters included with the machine & spares not to expensive
    filters last 600-800LPs & bottle of fluid every 200lps , not a cleaning fluid like normal RCMs
    as the audio desk is ultrasonic , fluid used to reduce static & break down water surface tension

re noise KL ultrasonic rcm uses a far more powerful ultrasonic generator ( 200w + ) & a different frequency
    used on a korean industrial machine the audio desk uses a much lower power generator
    does drive the dog batshit when its working he fecks off out the way

my 2nd choice , used & enjoyed a loricraft myself for years with great results

or i can add you to my list to try my demo machine
    Last edited by daytona600; 27-05-2015 at 22:41.

I'm peter.

I own a Loricraft. Good machine, well built and reliable, and fairly quiet, although I would not use one while playing music.
    Downside, they are slow and a bit cumbersome to use. Personally I have never bought-in to the idea that all records need cleaning. Some of my vinyl has been used for several decades and never needed a clean. Further, much noise is caused by physical damage which can't be removed.
    The whole compulsive business needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. And the biggest issue of all re record noise is often poorly matched equipment. A good de k and cartridge will halve noise, along with a fine phonostage and smooth speakers. Vinyl is inherently flawed, best to just enjoy it without neurosis.
    But I'd still stick with the Loricraft.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12