+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: im happy with my set up, but......

I'm James.

Default im happy with my set up, but......

im happy with my set up at the moment, the pioneer a30 works nicely with the usher s520 s, its always pleasant and when cranked up can let acdc rock ,thing is i think the ushers could do with something a bit better, something that can grab hold better , i feel they need a more gutsy amp. i had them with a marantz pm8003 for a while but it was a rubbish combo, so id like some suggestions amp wise please,i wont be buying just yet just putting me feelers out, something i could hook a sub woofer up to would be useful for movies, i dont mind pre owned as long as it dosnt look like its been chucked down the road, as for price, hmm no more than £500 as things stand, jim
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm James.

Nothing? Really? I'll go go to whf really I will, you see if I dont
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

I'm bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Pieoftheday View Post
    im happy with my set up at the moment, the pioneer a30 works nicely with the usher s520 s, its always pleasant and when cranked up can let acdc rock ,thing is i think the ushers could do with something a bit better, something that can grab hold better , i feel they need a more gutsy amp. i had them with a marantz pm8003 for a while but it was a rubbish combo, so id like some suggestions amp wise please,i wont be buying just yet just putting me feelers out, something i could hook a sub woofer up to would be useful for movies, i dont mind pre owned as long as it dosnt look like its been chucked down the road, as for price, hmm no more than £500 as things stand, jim
    I'm thinking of getting a Roksan Kandy K2.

As they just brought out the K3 I think there should be some good bargains under the £500 mark coming along...

Never listened to one yet, but they seem to be well liked.

I'm Dave.

I'd stick with your present Brio, against the Kandy. It might look impressive and have loadsawatts but it is flat and bland.

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I'd stick with your present Brio, against the Kandy. It might look impressive and have loadsawatts but it is flat and bland.
    +1. Don't know where Dave got the (Rega) Brio from in this thread but it's an excellent amp for the money. Totally agree about the Roksan
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    +1. Don't know where Dave got the (Rega) Brio from in this thread but it's an excellent amp for the money. Totally agree about the Roksan
    It's in my Sig, Clive. (It's the old Brio 3 though, not the new R)

I'm Clive.

Quote Originally Posted by rdpx View Post
    It's in my Sig, Clive. (It's the old Brio 3 though, not the new R)
    Sorry, clearly had a senior moment. The Brio 3 is still a great amp for the money even if has now been superseded. Roksan comment is still correct alas. Lots of watts but no subtlety.
    SOURCE:OPPO UDP-205 BluRay, SkyQ, Technics SL1210M5G/HexMat Eclipse/MN Bearing/Origin Live Gravity One puck/Isonoes with Boots/Jelco TK-850S Tonearm/Hana Umami Blue, PS Audio Stellar Phonostage. I also have an AT-OC9XSH as a spare cartridge.
    AMPLIFIER: Bryston BR-20 Pre/DAC/Streamer & Bryston 4B3 Power Amplifier
    SPEAKERS: Spendor D7 on Iso-Acoustics Gaia III’s
    HEADPHONES: OPPO PM-1 with Atlas Zeno cable, B&W Pi7 S2 and B&W C5 v2.
    CABLES: Analogue: Speaker Atlas Mavros Grun. Interconnect - Atlas Mavros XLR x3, MCRU Silver Tonearm cable
    Digital:Audioquest Carbon Ethernet x 4, Audioquest Carbon digital, English Electric 8Switch, Chord Optichord, Atlas Optical.
    Mains: PS Audio Perfectwave AC-05 x 5, Isol-8 Powerline Extreme with Quantum Science yellow fuse on input cable, Sounds Fantastic 6way Mains Blocks.
    STORAGE: Synology DS216J NAS with 2 x 3Tb WD Red hard-drives. Samsung 500Gb SSD.
    TV LG55B7 OLED

I'm bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Clive197 View Post
    Sorry, clearly had a senior moment. The Brio 3 is still a great amp for the money even if has now been superseded. Roksan comment is still correct alas. Lots of watts but no subtlety.
    The Brio doesn't really seem enough to get my PMC GB1 going. It's okay, but I am looking for something that is going to wake them up a bit as we have a rather large room (and am not going to be getting bigger speakers just yet). People seem pretty happy with the K2 from what I can find online though, so it surprises me to hear you both be so down on it? I think I can get a BT for around £500 which could be easily flipped on eBay for no loss if it doesn't impress, but your warnings are making me think its maybe not worth the hassle. I did find a couple of threads where more than one person was saying that the original GB1s were a fantastic match for the K2.

This will probably make a lot of people groan, but the idea of the Roksan learning remote that could then control the amp, CDP, TV and BDP is also very attractive.

I'm James.

rega brio r seems well thought of, its going on my list,

I'm Andrew.

You could have a nice big Sony with that budget. Huge ES loveliness.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast