+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blown satellite box repair question

I'm Martin.

Default Blown satellite box repair question

Before I part with some money for someone just to look at it, can anyone offer knowledgeable advice, please.

Water ingress at the LNB during the bad weather a couple of weeks ago blew the school's Fransat satellite decoder. There were definite sparks and an acrid smell in the classroom, but on removing the lid, I can't see any burnt bits ! The box cost around £100 and came from France, so is awkward to replace until the summer holidays.

Question: is it repairable, and if so, is it worthwhile financially.

I'm Martin.

Is this the same thing?
    http://www.satellitesuperstore.com/f...tm#francesathd

£169 - I doubt the repair will be cheaper unless you get mates rates. And it could cost you £50 just for an inspection and then hear 'sorry mate it's knackered'.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Barry.

+1. Highly unlikely to be cheaper than getting a new one
    ..all the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff...

Frank Zappa

I'm Alan.

If it was water in the LNB then the voltage feed up to the LNB has probably been shorted out.
    There is a small inductor very close to the LNB rear connector on the box, usually mounted on the pcb inside the metal can holding the LNB connector. It might even be a surface mount inductor.

It is very likely that this has burnt out. The covers on the metal can are usually removable by prising off with a screwdriver. Sometimes there may be a soldered lug that has to be released first.

Disconnect form the mains before investigating!

Alan
    I love Hendrix for so many reasons. He was so much more than just a blues guitarist - he played damn well any kind of guitar he wanted. In fact I'm not sure if he even played the guitar - he played music. - Stevie Ray Vaughan

I'm Martin.

Thanks everyone.
    The Boulanger branded box nolonger seems to be available, but for a similar number of £ as I paid for the defunct box (thanks to the exchange rate) I can now get an HD box. Probably the best solution !
    It will wait until the summer.

+ Reply to Thread