+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Analogue Interconnect Choices

I'm Gordon.

Default Analogue Interconnect Choices

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some advice about cables. Here's the story.

Since I bought my Project Ember headphone amp it's been connected to my DAC with 1m lengths of Linn Black interconnects. I thought the sound was pretty good if maybe a bit too bright for my taste. I changed it out for a 1m pair of Furukawa cables I normally use for my Xbox and was amazed at the difference! Suddenly the music had some weight to it but, (there's always a but), the top end had no sparkle whatsoever.

Then I remembered a pair of 0.5m cables I had years ago & had forgotten about. I went to the cupboard of Doom and raked about for ages before finding them. They're QED Silver Anniversary cables and they still - even after what must be 13 years - sound amazing. The bass weight is still there but there's a nice sparkly top-end too. The mids are also very clear. There's just so much more air to the sound now.

So why am I writing this? Well, the QED's are very stiff cables and the outer sleeves are covered in tiny cracks. My DAC (ODAC) & amp sit very close together and are both very lightweight devices so a really stiff cable can make them move on the rack. I don't want to have to resort to Blu-Tac unless I really have to.

I'd like to replace this short cable with something new.

It has to be 0.5m - 0.75m long & supple. It also has to be relatively cheap because I'm currently unemployed & my wife really can't tolerate any more hi-fi purchases right now. There's been a few lately.

It's been so long since I was in the market for cables & I'm totally out of touch with what's on the market these days.

One more thing. I know some people believe cables make no difference so, without being rude, I'd prefer not to hear from anyone who thinks like that. Life is too short & I believe they make a difference, to me. Not night & day certainly, but they can tweak the sound just right when used properly.

Thanks in advance for any advice given,
    Gordon.
    Last edited by Solrighal; 21-05-2015 at 23:56.
    Mac mini > Jriver 19 > ODAC > QED Silver Anniversary IC > Project Ember MkII > Linn Black > Marantz PM6004 > Mogami 3103 > Dali Zensor 1

Mac mini > JRiver 19 > QED Silver Anniverary IC > Project Ember MkII > Forza Audio Works Colour cable > Sennheiser HD 650

Sansa Clip+ (r/b) > Sennheiser PX 100-II (w/HD 414 pads)

I'm inthescottishmafia.

For great cables at non foo price, a no brainer really-

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ighlight=Klotz
    “Music has always been a matter of energy to me, a question of fuel. Sentimental people call it inspiration, but what they really mean is fuel. I have always needed fuel. I am a serious consumer. On some nights I still believe that a car with the gas needle on empty can run about fifty more miles if you have the right music very loud on the radio”

Hunter S Thompson

I'm Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ali Tait View Post
    For great cables at non foo price, a no brainer really-

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showt...ighlight=Klotz
    Thanks for the link Ali. I'll check it out now.

Gordon.
    Mac mini > Jriver 19 > ODAC > QED Silver Anniversary IC > Project Ember MkII > Linn Black > Marantz PM6004 > Mogami 3103 > Dali Zensor 1

Mac mini > JRiver 19 > QED Silver Anniverary IC > Project Ember MkII > Forza Audio Works Colour cable > Sennheiser HD 650

I'm Gordon.

Those cables look like a very good deal to me! The thing is I've been listening to music all night & I have to say this QED cable is bringing out things I have never experienced before. I'm now wondering if that's because it's a silver cable. I've read on other forums of people saying silver cables often sound brighter & more detailed. I'm not getting the bright (which is a good thing as I'm very treble sensitive) but I am getting the detail. Loads of it.

I'm worried that maybe no copper cable will do what this cable is doing.

Gordon.

I'm Anthony.

There is a gentleman selling some chord vee3's on this very site , and for the price they are a bargain
    Our education is wrong, it takes no note of the subtleties of human nature, it places more importance on the memory of an individual than how memorable an individual is. Bernard Sumner 1995

I'm Gordon.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony K View Post
    There is a gentleman selling some chord vee3's on this very site , and for the price they are a bargain
    Hi Anthony,

Thanks for the heads-up. Yeah, £40 is a good price but it's too long for where I'm going to use it.

I've now moved stuff about on my rack & the QED is fitting in well. Not so convinced about the sound now though after a good few hours listening. There's an edge in the treble on some music that's a bit wearing.

Gordon.

+ Reply to Thread