+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Packing items for post advice, please....

I'm bob.

Default Packing items for post advice, please....

Hi there,

I have some heavy items that I need to sell, and almost none of them have the original box.

I am wondering if anyone has any tips on what kind of boxes are good for sending hifi through the post/courier?

Specifically I am looking at two TTs (a 1210 and a Systemdek IIX) and a couple of amps (Cyrus 2 and a very heavy Quad 303)

I have a fair amount of heavy duty bubble wrap, but have not come up with a decent idea on where to get good TT or hifi sized post boxes yet....

Thanks in advance,

Robert

I'm Grant.

Cartons direct do sheet cardboard that you can make boxes up with to your size easily and double wall them. add padded crners made from cardboard and bubble etc and it will be secure.

I'm Neil.

The amps are easy the turntables are going to be a real challenge. Frankly I would make the TTs pick up only.

Regards Neil

I'm Bernie.

Removalists and storage companies have good ranges of boxes. Some more heavy duty than others but it might be a good starting point for a box close to the size you require.
    Bernie.

I'm Neil.

Ok I recommend triple boxes, for all items. Plenty of quality bubble wrap and polystyrene sheets. Pack to survive drop kicking and WW3.

The amplifiers should be held tightly with no movement possible, include mains cables but remove plugs - plug prongs destroy audio.

The turntables are a serious problem.

Boxes need to be oversized in all dimensions to give plenty of packing and protective space. Platters must be removed, lids removed, bearing if possible (not in the case of Technics), tonearms also except the Technics. If there is a suspension and transit bolts then fit these to prevent suspension bouncing. If you don't have these then you can't post it.

Platter best packed at the bottom of the box. Get three pieces of flat polystyrene same width and length of packing box and make a sandwich with the platter in the middle. Hollow out a tight circle to prevent the platter moving. With bearing removed, clean oil off and out of bearing well. Pack it in its own box, fully wrapped and protected. Pack tonearm in a small separate box with its own place in the bigger box. Pack lid in its own box, with a sandwich of polystyrene packing same size as box its to go in, accuracy re packing fitting and items not being able to move is vital.

Turntable needs similar treatment. Boxes should be fitted in the bigger triple box with space round them to pack tightly with no voids and no movement.

If you can't do this, or approach this then seriously don't bother, as what the buyer will end up with is pieces.

**NB** It is vital to keep all original packing always.

Regards Neil

I'm Mike.

Hi,

Watch out which courier you use a lot of them won't insure turntables

Mike.

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyb View Post
    Hi,

Watch out which courier you use a lot of them won't insure turntables

Mike.
    Other problem is most companies will use 'original boxes not used' as a get out of insurance payment too.

Regards Neil

You can get used boxes from a corner shop or small supermarket and as already said polystyrene sheet from B&Q etc. Don't use bubble wrap on its own you can't make it tight enough in the box to stop movement. Make sure you are happy to stand on it or give it a good kick when you are finished.

I'm bob.

Sounds like fun.

I'm Sam.

My tips:

Remove the platter and pack the turntable in it's own cocoon with plinth edges protected and wrapped with bubble wrap. THEN think about the boxes you need.

I think the worst bit is protecting the lid and you can take tips from manufacturer's packaging like Linn - they pack the lid full of a big piece of polystyrene so it can't be flexed if pressure is put on it's center. Inside that they make compartments for bits and peices like the arm or accessories - you can do the same. I pack a lid out with that stiff white foam packing you get in white goods packaging, some large printers etc. Cut it up and pack out the lid so that it sits on that and is supported all over so can't be compressed. The white foam stuff sits on the plinth, perhaps some thin strips between a subplatter and the plinth (stop it moving in the bearing) and then the lid resting on some more which is resting on the subplatter. Could use hard polystyrene but it can get messy with static from a lid and the cutting..

Second worst bit is stopping suspension moving if it's a suspended deck as not all have locking bolts. Leave that to you're own ingenuity!

So that cocoon is wrapped in card and bubblewrap. Place the platter underneath (might want that wrapped in card too) and sit it in something sturdy like a strong box or even an improvised box made from one cut down and folded to size, packed tighter with extra bubble wrap so the deck doesn't move about. AND I like to make stiffer corners by folding up card - roll it up if there's room - so that it's harder to crush top to bottom. Stacking fruit boxes have those corners built in if you can cut a couple up to fit around the deck top and bottom, but using them can make the packing a bit over-large.

Pack this box then in a second box with maybe a layer of polystyrene sheet between the two on each side or much much better still, that honeycomb card you get these days which is very stiff and light - that is fantastic on the top to spread out any pressure on top which might crack the lid (though hopefully the lid's packed tight so it can't flex anyway).

I've always found my packing, looking out on business recycling days but it's been a while since I've sold and sent anything.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast