+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tweeter dome

I'm Nodrog.

Default Tweeter dome

I know it's been posted somewhere but I can't find it so...... what is the best way to pull the dome out on a tweeter that has had the finger poke treatment?

The Sony AMM20ES speakers don't appear to suffer from the dent but I'm sure they would be better for having the dome the right shape

In fact these speakers are bloody impressive. Much like the twit that blew up my Wharfdale Diamonds, this one had the bass turned right up. Can't understand why as, if anything, the Sonys are a bit bass heavy for my tastes.

I'm Grant.

depends on various factors. there is the hoover trick. if its like a mesh then you can sometimes push a very small hooked bit of wire through and pull it piece at a time.. the alloy type if badly dented are pretty unsavable

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    depends on various factors. there is the hoover trick. if its like a mesh then you can sometimes push a very small hooked bit of wire through and pull it piece at a time.. the alloy type if badly dented are pretty unsavable
    I'll try the hoover!! I remember once, drilling a hole through the centre of a T27 and pulling it out with a hook Still sounded fine to me but I don't think I'll risk it with these.

I'm Andrew.

It can be done using tape of the sticky kind. Dab the sticky side on and pull off and repeat. Just don't use anything too sticky.

I'm Nodrog.

Quote Originally Posted by agk View Post
    It can be done using tape of the sticky kind. Dab the sticky side on and pull off and repeat. Just don't use anything too sticky.
    Hmmm..... I'll try that....very gently

I'm Paul.

The last thing I'd recommend on a delicate tweeter Gordon is to use a hoover. You can cause more damage than good. I've used sticky tape to gently persuade out the offending dent but if it's serious, you are better doing it by removing the tweeter voice coil and carefully pushing it into shape from the inside, being uber-careful not to damage or warp the voil coil or former, then replace. If its a deep'un and you don't fancy that, and if its working ok, sometimes leaving well alone is the best medicine ;-)

I'm Martin.

I have successfully used either masking tape (gentle stick) or duct tape (very sticky) depending on how bad the dent is and if it has creased the material.

I'm Nodrog.

Thanks for all the advice. I'm not sure what the Sony tweeter is made of but I suspect a metal dome. It may take some pulling out. None of the tape I have tried will hang on well enough to apply any pressure. I don't fancy taking the tweeter apart as I suspect that a replacement would be a bit hard to get if I mess it up.

I will try some stickier stuff but suspect that Paul's advice to leave well alone is best. I have tried swapping the speakers round and I haven't been aware of any change in the sound so it doesn't appear to have had a disastrous effect on the performance.

I see why the Sony ES ranges are well thought of though. Although the cabinets do vibrate a little when a bit of welly is applied, the sound is clean and the bass is pretty impressive for the size of cabinet. I don't usually like the sound of ports but these are staying. I would have a bit of trouble choosing between them and the KEF101s. The Sonys have much more bass but the KEFs just do everything else beautifully. So the Sonys are in bedroom 2 and the KEFs stay on the computer system.

I may try adding some bracing tomorrow but right now the Quads demand my attention with some Bach.

+ Reply to Thread